Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.application.errors
WM

Default Help please with "This document could not be registered" message

I am running Word 2000 (9.0269 SP-3) on WinXP Pro/SP2.

When I open any existing document I get this message:

"This document could not be registered. It will not be
possible to create links from other documents to this
document."

What is causing this and how can I prevent it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.application.errors
Jay Freedman

Hi Suzanne,

This is another page that MS has renamed. Now it's at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx (note the 'x' on
the end).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"WM" wrote in message
I am running Word 2000 (9.0269 SP-3) on WinXP Pro/SP2.

When I open any existing document I get this message:

"This document could not be registered. It will not be
possible to create links from other documents to this
document."

What is causing this and how can I prevent it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.application.errors
WM

On Sun 8 Jan 17:38, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Although there are possible other causes, this is one symptom of
infection by the Blaster worm. See

Suzanne, after you posted I went and looked into the Blaster worm.

I have downloaded and run two detection tools (Symantec's and
McAfee's) but neither found Blaster. Nor did my own PC's anti-virus
software. In fact, I have never had the other symptoms of Blaster
such as the strange shutdowns.

After all that, I ran a "repair installation" of Office 2000 but that
didn't help. So I then ran a "re-installation" of Office and that
hasn't helped either.

What other causes of this message could there be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.application.errors

I was just researching another similar problem and found Word 95 and 97 KB
articles that suggested rerunning setup with the /y switch to repair damaged
OLE files in the Registry, but the equivalent in Word 2000 would be the
repair installation you've already performed. So I'm out of ideas.