Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Happy[_2_] Happy[_2_] is offline

Default Dictionary

Where is the Word Dictionary located, so I can back it up? Is there another
Dictionary, or is this it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The only editable dictionaries are the personal dictionaries (the default
one is called custom.dic) Checkout tools options spelling and grammar
custom dictionaries. - which will display which personal dictionaries are in
use and where they are stored. The main spelling dictionaries are
non-editable and part of the application, so they will be on the
installation disc.

Happy wrote:
Where is the Word Dictionary located, so I can back it up? Is there
another Dictionary, or is this it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Happy[_2_] Happy[_2_] is offline

I have Word 2007, and was unable to find this. However, the help file
suggested this path: C:\Documents and Settings\'my name'\Application
Data\Microsoft\UProof . I couldn't find this in Windows Explorer. There
appears to be no "application data". Any hints? Could it be a hidden file? I
tried it in command prompt too, no result.

Happy wrote:
Where is the Word Dictionary located, so I can back it up? Is there
another Dictionary, or is this it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Open Word and go to Tools, Options, Spelling and Grammar and click on the
CUSTOM DICTIONARIES button. The path is displayed at the bottom of the
dialog.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

Happy wrote:
Where is the Word Dictionary located, so I can back it up? Is there
another Dictionary, or is this it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Happy[_2_] Happy[_2_] is offline

Got it! Thanks for that.
I guess "hidden files" are hidden for a reason, so after backing up the
dictionary, I should make them 'hidden' again.

Happy wrote:
Where is the Word Dictionary located, so I can back it up? Is
there another Dictionary, or is this it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't like anything hidden from me
I also have Windows display the extensions of known file types - it can save
a lot of confusion.

dictionary Gailc Microsoft Word Help 3 January 22nd 07 07:22 PM
Dictionary Norbert Microsoft Word Help 1 July 13th 05 03:54 PM
Dictionary Taymour Microsoft Word Help 1 March 18th 05 01:24 PM
Dictionary Steve W. Microsoft Word Help 1 February 17th 05 04:18 AM
Dictionary Kristyboo Microsoft Word Help 1 January 29th 05 02:18 AM