Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vintner vintner is offline

Default Can I fill in header from text in body?

I am trying to create a form that would allow a part number to be entered in
the body of the form and would automatically fill in that part number in the
header of that form. I am using Word, 2003.

Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In an ordinary document you could use a REF field, but REF fields don't
update automatically in the header of protected forms, and a macro is
required to update them manually. A StyleRef field, however, works just
great; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.

"vintner" wrote in message
I am trying to create a form that would allow a part number to be entered

in
the body of the form and would automatically fill in that part number in

the
header of that form. I am using Word, 2003.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:36:06 -0700, vintner
wrote:

I am trying to create a form that would allow a part number to be entered in
the body of the form and would automatically fill in that part number in the
header of that form. I am using Word, 2003.

Is this possible?

Use a REF field in the header, referring to the name of the form field
(the "bookmark" item in the form field's Properties dialog). See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vintner vintner is offline

Thanks Jay, but it won't work unless I convert everything in the document to
a form. It looks as I can't have just the one field linked or Ref to the
header.

I don't think I will be able to make this ECO document 'engineer proof'.