Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KnightBall KnightBall is offline

Default How to paste multiple lines from text editor to multiple rows of W

I have a text file opened in Ultra Edit Text editor. Each line that I want
to paste into its own cell (row) in the same column (column number 6) is
separated by a newline.

I've tried selecting, as a test, say five rows and tried several ways of
pasting them into the table. First by just having the cursor in the first
row and column where I want the paste to start: the result being that all
the text is pasted in the one cell without any newlines. I've also tried
selecting the five corresponding empty cells in the word table and the
pasting: the result being the same as above but repeated in each cell.

Any help is appreciated
--
Thanks
KnightBall
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to paste multiple lines from text editor to multiple rows of W

Hi KnightBall,

To paste multiple lines from a text editor to multiple rows of a Word table, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open your Word document and navigate to the table where you want to paste the text.
  2. Select the cells where you want to paste the text. Make sure you select the same number of cells as the number of lines you want to paste.
  3. In Ultra Edit Text editor, select the lines of text you want to copy.
  4. Right-click on the selected text and choose "Copy" or press "Ctrl+C" on your keyboard.
  6. Right-click and choose "Paste" or press "Ctrl+V" on your keyboard.

The lines of text should now be pasted into the selected cells, with each line in its own cell.

If you still have trouble with the newlines not being preserved, you can try using a different method of copying and pasting. For example, instead of using "Copy" and "Paste", you can try using "Cut" and "Paste Special". Here's how:
  1. In Ultra Edit Text editor, select the lines of text you want to copy.
  2. Right-click on the selected text and choose "Cut" or press "Ctrl+X" on your keyboard.
  4. Right-click and choose "Paste Special".
  5. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, choose "Unformatted Text" and click "OK".

The lines of text should now be pasted into the selected cells, with each line in its own cell and the newlines preserved.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Unless you were to use a macro, it will have to be a several step process.

You could paste the text into an empty area of the document, then use
TableConvert Text to Table and then select that resulting table and then
select the 6th column in your table and then right click and use Paste
Columns (or just use Ctrl+V). You will then need to delete what was the 6th
column as the information will be inserted before the existing 6th column.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"KnightBall" wrote in message
I have a text file opened in Ultra Edit Text editor. Each line that I want
to paste into its own cell (row) in the same column (column number 6) is
separated by a newline.

I've tried selecting, as a test, say five rows and tried several ways of
pasting them into the table. First by just having the cursor in the first
row and column where I want the paste to start: the result being that all
the text is pasted in the one cell without any newlines. I've also tried
selecting the five corresponding empty cells in the word table and the
pasting: the result being the same as above but repeated in each cell.

Any help is appreciated
--
Thanks
KnightBall

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KnightBall KnightBall is offline

I think figured out what was going on. The text document was using DOS line
terminators (CR/LF) - changed to simply (LF) terminators. And, now the copy
for example copy 8 lines in text doc, highlight 8 cells in the word table and
paste works fine.
--
Thanks
KnightBall