Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
john mcmichael

Default word opens to normal.dot

when I open MS Word it open to the Normal.dot, which I do not want to edit.
How can I get to open just a plain page.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

john mcmichael wrote:
when I open MS Word it open to the Normal.dot, which I do not want to
edit. How can I get to open just a plain page.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
john mcmichael

thanks, but this doc tells me all about Normal.dot and how to work on it. I
am really looking for info on how to NOT work on it. When I open word, it
opens the normal.dot file...or at least that is what it shows on the title
bar. I want to open a a regular old document1. Any thoughts?

Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

"john mcmichael" wrote in message
when I open MS Word it open to the Normal.dot, which I do not want to

edit.
How can I get to open just a plain page.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
john mcmichael

Thanks, but can you tell me why word might be opening Normal.dot when I try
to open a new doc? I dont want to make changes to Normal.dot...just work on
a standard word page...why might Normal be opening by default?

Thanks

john mcmichael wrote:
when I open MS Word it open to the Normal.dot, which I do not want to
edit. How can I get to open just a plain page.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would guess that the default action for .dot files in Windows has been
changed from New to Open. Try reregistering Word to reestablish the correct
file associations in the Windows Registry; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm.