Chad Harris

Default Can I Change a Font on the Fly?

Using MSFT Word 03 in MOS 03. I started a document with Courier New only
because I couldn't find the font that I wanted to use that has been used in
similar situations. Then I figured out that the font I wanted was *Times
New Roman*-- which is the default font in Word and probably has been since
Word Version I. I also saw there are Times New Roman Special G1 and G2 and
I'll try to find oout what they are and why.

1) You see this default font *everywhere.* I see it in many business
letters, (perhaps the majority), legal documents (motions and filings of all
types) even if there is no requirement for it. Why has Times New Roman
been adopted by MSFT for Word as the default font and why do so many people
seem to use it in proportion to choices of so many others on that drop down.

2) If someone started in Courier New and had typed 3 pages of a document,
then discovered they wanted to change it to another Font say Times New
Roman, what is the most efficient, and quickest way to change to Times New
Roman without having to erase and start over. Can you highlight and
Format(Change) Font? Is there any other faster way?

Tia,

Chad Harris

TCEBob

You are typing with a style. Try editing the style to include the new font. It
is better to have too many styles than make format changes within one.

TNR is so popular, I think, because it looks good, stands enlargement well and
projects a subliminal message of solidity, balance and credibility. In business
correspondence it is a good idea not to distract the reader with unusual fonts.
Ever since the IBM Selectric the TNR font has been accepted by many businesses.
(Actually, the Selectric called it "Courier," which adds to the confusion.)
Courier New is there to appease those of us who have fresh and fond memories of
manual typewriters.

rs

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
[...]

TF

1. TNR is a serif font (good readability), it was already in wide use (The
Times newspaper), MS got the licence cheaply. It is in such wide use because
it isn't a bad font (though I personally don't like it) and because it is
the Word default and most people couldn't be bothered to change it, Word has
a very wide user base of people who didn't bother to learn how to change it!

2. Use SelectAll (Ctl+A) and then change the Font using the Toolbar.
However, if you have got as far as learning Styles, change the style to TNR.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

: