Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stflip stflip is offline

Default How do I use numbered headings in Word 2007?

It was fairly easy to do in Word 2003, but I have been unable to figure it
out for Word 2007. I want my document to appear as follows:

1 Heading One
Normal text Normal text Normal text

1.1 Heading Two
Normal text Normal text Normal text

1.1.1 Heading Three
Normal text Normal text Normal text

1.1.2 Heading Three
Normal text Normal text Normal text

2 Heading One
Normal text Normal text Normal text

2.1 Heading Two
Normal text Normal text Normal text

2.2 Heading Two
Normal text Normal text Normal text

2.2.1 Heading Three
Normal text Normal text Normal text

etc., etc. I cannot figure out how to number the headings in this manner.
This particular format (1, 1.1, 1.1.1) does not seem to be available from the
Word 2007 Number Format list. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can configure outline numbering just as you can in Word 2003. Clcik the
little arrow next to the outline numbers button on the home toolbar (it is
called 'multi-level list').

stflip wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PamC PamC is offline

I was confused too. After not being able to add the numbering modifying
the heading 1 style, as I had done in Word 2003 & before, I looked at the
ribbon choices and told myself, no, no, no mustn't touch the buttons on the
toolbar". But in W2007 touching those ribbon buttons is exactly what you
must do.

Click the multilevel list button. In the Current list dialog, you should
see a choice that matches your requirement. If you need to modify your
choice, choose "Define new multilevel list". Be sure to click more at the
lower left of the dialog to get all the options.

PamC