Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default still here?

Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people
have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady
increase in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've noticed it too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people have
already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady increase in
questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The modest increase in traffic on the Answers forum and the disappearance of
traffic from here suggests that the link has been severed, but that the
hapless user has not yet found his way to the new forum.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I've noticed it too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people
have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady
increase in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

While there does seem to be quite a reduction in activity at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...&lang=en&cr=US,
it appears that propagation between here and there is not working.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The modest increase in traffic on the Answers forum and the disappearance
of traffic from here suggests that the link has been severed, but that the
hapless user has not yet found his way to the new forum.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I've noticed it too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people
have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady
increase in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But they probably will find the forums after June 1, whether they want to or
not. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The modest increase in traffic on the Answers forum and the disappearance of
traffic from here suggests that the link has been severed, but that the
hapless user has not yet found his way to the new forum.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I've noticed it too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people have
already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady increase
in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If only they could find the newsgroups, we might not simply be talking to
ourselves .....
If it is not too late - http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It seems unlikely that Microsoft will restore the link for the remaining few
days - though you never can tell - so a few users are destined to be lost in
limbo land. Few will know they can come here to the newsgroups directly.
Messages on the old forum are still appearing, but they are neither being
redirected here, nor to the answers forum, nor being answered - though I did
pop over briefly to have a look, just to remind myself how bad it was to use
that forum.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since this is the only thread I have encountered this morning in the entire
microsoft.public.word hierarchy, I suspect you must be right.

http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The modest increase in traffic on the Answers forum and the disappearance
of traffic from here suggests that the link has been severed, but that the
hapless user has not yet found his way to the new forum.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I've noticed it too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people
have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady
increase in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ok, I just looked at the "social answers" page linked in another
thread. It's horrible -- taking up the whole screen with pointless
graphics decoration, allowing very few topics to be visible at once,
requiring far more clicking and scrolling than google groups -- what
(if anything) were they thinking?????

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

The modest increase in traffic on the Answers forum and the disappearance
of traffic from here suggests that the link has been severed, but that the
hapless user has not yet found his way to the new forum.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I've noticed it too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people
have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady
increase in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that you can make use of the Microsoft Answers NNTP Bridge to access the
forums via a newsreader. See http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I'm hoping that someone at Google will pick up on the service the NNTP
bridge is using to write their own 'frontend'. Although posting to their
frontend might become hard as it requires WL login.

It took the people responsible for the msdn library at Microsoft almost 4
years to come up with a decent user interface. They now have 3 views, going
from feature rich to very basic. I'm hoping that it will take the Forum
people less than 4 years to come to a similar user interface choice.

Yves

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rojo Habe[_2_] Rojo Habe[_2_] is offline

OK, now I feel thick. I've downloaded the bridge (both of them, actually)
and tried to follow the installation instructions but have hit a brick wall.
I'm assuming the bridge for this server is the Microsoft Answers bridge and
not the Microsoft Forums bridge. The instructions all point to the MSDN
forums; if I log into Microsoft Answers there's no "My Settings" link to
click in order to check the "Use NNTP Bridge" box.

Thick, thicky thicky thick bloke.

And for some reason my tea tastes mildly of bacon.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JERRY JERRY is offline

As one of the "hapless users" (not to mention clueless users), how do I find
the Answers page? Anybody have a URL?

Thanks,

Jerry

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DP DP is offline

Suzanne (if you get this post)

I notice that some responders in 'Answers' actually work for MS which you
and others MVPs do not. How will this affect those of you we have been
speaking to?
Are they timing this change with the release of 2010? Will th others be
using another forum or is 'Answer' the replacement?

Thanks
Dottie

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people
have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady
increase in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Neither of the bridges works for this forum, which will be closed on June 1.
The Answers bridge works for the Answers forums, which are already open;
there are three forums for Word.

http://word.mvps.org

"Rojo Habe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The ones for Word are at
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...ult.aspx#tab=2.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

MS has hired contractors in India to man the forums. Although they have been
strictly instructed to follow a "community first" policy (that is, give
ordinary volunteer end users the opportunity to answer first) and not answer
questions until they are 12-24 hours old without an answer, what we're
seeing is that many of them (a) rush in with an answer, usually a reference
to a KB article that may or may not be relevant (it's hard to tell without
actually clicking on the link and going to the article, since they don't
quote the title of the article), (b) ignore previous answers that may
actually be more helpful, and then (c) mark their replies as Answers. We're
trying to get this corrected, but since the contractors are being paid based
on their performance, it's hard to see how that's going to work. There is
also a lot of resistance to the point system, which a lot of us see as
having a bad influence on those who are NOT being paid to answer.

Rest assured, the MVPs will continue to soldier on as long as we can. What
I'm finding, though, that the reduction of granularity in the forums (30
English-language Word NGs poured into three Word forums) means that each
forum contains more questions that I'm not qualified to answer and
consequently have to skip, making it more time-consuming for me to handle
the questions. There's also considerable angst about the fact that there are
no product-specific VBA or "programming" forums--just a single Office
Programming forum on Answers and separate Word, Excel, and Outlook
development forums on MSDN, where end users are less likely to find them.
Access is even worse off: down from 28 English-language NGs to one forum
shared with Visio and Project!

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think people
have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a steady
increase in questions posted there.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am (EDT)!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

The beginning of the end, Suzanne.

:
: Rest assured, the MVPs will continue to soldier on as long as we can. What
: I'm finding, though, that the reduction of granularity in the forums (30
: English-language Word NGs poured into three Word forums) means that each
: forum contains more questions that I'm not qualified to answer and
: consequently have to skip, making it more time-consuming for me to handle
: the questions. There's also considerable angst about the fact that there
are
: no product-specific VBA or "programming" forums--just a single Office
: Programming forum on Answers and separate Word, Excel, and Outlook
: development forums on MSDN, where end users are less likely to find them.
: Access is even worse off: down from 28 English-language NGs to one forum
: shared with Visio and Project!
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: http://word.mvps.org
:
: "dp" wrote in message
: ...
: Suzanne (if you get this post)
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
: I have noted considerable fall-off in all the msnews NGs. I think
people
: have already started migrating to Answers, as there seems to be a
steady
: increase in questions posted there.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: http://word.mvps.org
:
: "Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
:
: Has the newsgroup been turned off? No new posting since 9:24 am
(EDT)!
:
:
: .