Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee

Default Styles - Numbered List

I set up a style for a numbered list and when I apply the style and I get my
numbers 1, 2 3 etc. However, when I want to create another list based on this
style, the numbering starts at 4, it continues on from the last list. I went
into Format - Styles and looked for the "restart numbering" but when you are
in the modify style, that option is not there. How do I modify the style so
that the next time I apply it the numbering will start a 1. I am using Word
2003.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Dee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

See: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word
document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

Additional information you may find useful or need is at:

How to Create a Template, Part II
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Legal Numbering
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

You would want the first level of your numbering styles to not have any
numbering. You can use it to restart the numbering. I believe you can even
format it as hidden text.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Dee" wrote in message
I set up a style for a numbered list and when I apply the style and I get
my
numbers 1, 2 3 etc. However, when I want to create another list based on
this
style, the numbering starts at 4, it continues on from the last list. I
went
into Format - Styles and looked for the "restart numbering" but when you
are
in the modify style, that option is not there. How do I modify the style
so
that the next time I apply it the numbering will start a 1. I am using
Word
2003.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Dee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee

Hi Charles,

The numbered list I am talking about is not a heading numbered list. I have
already set my headings to be numbered. This is in the body of my document, I
want to add a numbered list. - 1, 2, 3,4 etc. I apply the style "numbered
list" which is available in all styles. The first list is fine. When I want
to create another numbered list later in my document, the numbering starts at
5. I want to modify the Numbered List syle to create a list always starting
at number 1. Otherwise I have to go to Format Bulleting and Numbering and
click "restart numbering"

Regards,

Dee

"Dee" wrote in message
I set up a style for a numbered list and when I apply the style and I get
my
numbers 1, 2 3 etc. However, when I want to create another list based on
this
style, the numbering starts at 4, it continues on from the last list. I
went
into Format - Styles and looked for the "restart numbering" but when you
are
in the modify style, that option is not there. How do I modify the style
so
that the next time I apply it the numbering will start a 1. I am using
Word
2003.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Dee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Ah! I thought we were talking outline numbering because you mentioned
styles.

I would not use list numbering the way you are, but that may be my ignorance
showing through again.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm. Hope that
will help.