Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Default Tweaking how the Cross Reference Dialog Box operates?

Fellow Forum Members,
I am really fed up on how the Cross Reference Dialog box operates. Everytime
I need to setup a cross reference for a Figure Caption I need to scroll
through a list of 200 figure captions! The problem I have with this is that
it breaks my train of thought everytime I need to do this and not to mention
it's very tedious. Is there any way possible to make Word remember the last
Figure Caption I cross referenced, and have the list inside the Cross
Reference Dialog box start from this point and not from the top of the list
everytime? Since there is no setting for it in OPTIONS, can such tweak be
made inside one of Word's system files such as an "ini file" ? Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

a guess--

Many long dialogs in Word can be navigated by typing the first letter of
the entry, and sometimes more. For instance, in Tools | Language, "s"
will jump you to Slovak, and "sp" quickly will jump you to Spanish. Try
this in the CR dialog. I don't have a good document to test it on--on my
Mac I am finding that it will jump to Heading 1 entries but not
subordinate headings, but all I have are headings, can't test figure
captions.

I thought that if you left the dialog open, it would maintain the
selection, but I notice it jumps to the beginning everytime the dialog
is activated, even if I leave it open. This is insane behavior. It's
conceivable that it works in Windows, though--so test that if you haven't.

PS. posting a second nudge after 2.5 hours is a bit impatient. That
isn't that long.

binar wrote:
Fellow Forum Members,
I am really fed up on how the Cross Reference Dialog box operates. Everytime
I need to setup a cross reference for a Figure Caption I need to scroll
through a list of 200 figure captions! The problem I have with this is that
it breaks my train of thought everytime I need to do this and not to mention
it's very tedious. Is there any way possible to make Word remember the last
Figure Caption I cross referenced, and have the list inside the Cross
Reference Dialog box start from this point and not from the top of the list
everytime? Since there is no setting for it in OPTIONS, can such tweak be
made inside one of Word's system files such as an "ini file" ? Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Thanks for the help. Forgot to mention I'm using Window's version of Word.
It's interesting to know that on the MAC, Word also has this idiotic behavior
of going to the top of the list everytime on the cross reference list. My
hope is to figure out a way to change this behavior by tweaking some system
file belonging to Word. It's a shame we are not even given the option to
resize this dialog window.