Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jako

Default Removing chevrons from MergeFields

Hi there, I have recently subscribed to a we based database program for
my organisation that inserts your word documents into their library and
places the database items (names, numbers, greeting ext) into your rtf
format document when you use their mergefield links.

My main problem is that the chevrons the appear when you use the
mergefield fields have to be manually removed in order for them not be
be displayed. This is quite a bit of a task as there are about 100
letters with about 10 fields on each letter that needs to be modified.

I know that everyone says that you just press the "abc" button on
the mailmerge toolbar and they should disappear, but unfortunately this
is not the case as this is not a mailmerge. I have actually created a
macro through just recording that places most of the field in the form
by just running it, but the task still remain to remove the chevrons
after the fields have been entered.

Is it possible to remove the chevrons in any other way than to manually
remove them every time t hey are entered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

The chevrons in Word's mergefield are an integral part of the field and
toggle with ALT+F9 to {Mergefield Fieldname}. What you describe appears to
be related to the third party application you are trying to use. take it up
with the suppliers of that software.

Jako wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jako

Thanks for the quick reply graham. The problem occurs even before I
load the page onto the web base system. Toggling between the codes with
ALT+F9 only provide me with the mergefield coding behind the field.

I acquired the field by going to insert=field=then selecting
mergefield and enter the name of the field code for instance
"$$streetnum$$" this then produces the fieldname of $$streetnum$$
and if it toggle the code with ALT+F9 it provides the coding:
{MERGEFIELD $$streetnum$$ \* MERGEFORMAT}

Then when I actually print the field it will print out with the
symbols still next to the mergefields, unless i manually delete the
symbols. Does this seem normal or am I just doing something silly?