Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected].(donotspam) rdw1260@msn.com.(donotspam) is offline

Default Future Date/Print Date Fields

I'm using Word and Access 2003. I'm trying to replicate an appeal letter. The
reason for mentioning Access 2003 is because I included a Word document as
part of an Access report. I do not know to what extent the capabilities of
Word may be diminished when using Access 2003. That said I have 2 problems.

The first is trying to include in this letter a future date based on the
current date. For example current date + 7= 9/13/07. This appears to be a
very complicated procedure to implement into Word. So, I thought I would
create a control [LastDayStepAMeetingP3] in Access that would give me that
information and then insert it into the Word document. I'm having a problem
doing that. If it means anything the control course is:
=DateAdd("d",+7,[DateAppealedFormalStepAP1])

The next problem I'm having is using the PrintDate field in the same
document. When I tested it I got an August 14 date instead of the current
date, September 5. I do not want this date to be updated when someone tries
to print it again. If for some reason we need to print that specific document
again we need it to be the date it was actually printed.

Thanks for the help.
--
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi rd

.(donotspam) wrote:
I'm using Word and Access 2003. I'm trying to replicate an appeal letter. The
reason for mentioning Access 2003 is because I included a Word document as
part of an Access report. I do not know to what extent the capabilities of
Word may be diminished when using Access 2003. That said I have 2 problems.

I'm sure using Access, the capabilities are enhanced instead! :-)

The first is trying to include in this letter a future date based on the
current date. For example current date + 7= 9/13/07. This appears to be a
very complicated procedure to implement into Word. So, I thought I would
create a control [LastDayStepAMeetingP3] in Access that would give me that
information and then insert it into the Word document. I'm having a problem
doing that. If it means anything the control course is:
=DateAdd("d",+7,[DateAppealedFormalStepAP1])

You are perfectly right: Word is, after all, a text processor. You can
calculate dates in VBA, and you can even do pretty complicated
field-based constructs without it. But these are pretty complex. Chris
Woodman is the "guru" when it comes to such calculations:

Delayed Dates (by Chris Woodman)
http://www.chriswoodman.co.uk/Delayed%20Dates.htm

But whenever you are controling Word from another application like
Access or even Excel, in a mailmerge type situation or not: by all means
use the other app to do date calculations! :-)

The next problem I'm having is using the PrintDate field in the same
document. When I tested it I got an August 14 date instead of the current
date, September 5. I do not want this date to be updated when someone tries
to print it again. If for some reason we need to print that specific document
again we need it to be the date it was actually printed.

Well, the PRINTDATE field does just that: after updating, shows you the
date of the last printing of this document. If you don't want this, you
could lock the field (though that's kind of tricky, because you need to
do it after the original print run). Maybe it's safer to create a
document variable and put the date in it, then reference the variable in
the document. If you don't refer to the date as "print date" in your
document, you might as well insert the current days date as normal text
during creation of the document (no field -- no need to lock it).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Calculated date fields may be complicated, but all the work has been done
for you and all that is required is to copy and paste to your document and
change the delay and field names (use replace) from the sample document
which you can download from http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

The printdate field is a bit more complicated, in that it displays the date
the document was printed. Print again and the date changes. If you wish to
lock a particular date, then change the field to text (CTRL+SHIFT+F9).