Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Default Document Template question

Hi! I've created a nifty letterhead for my boss. Now, how do I "freeze" the
template so she can type up her letters using it?

I've saved it using the Document Template but if I open a new document using
that template and I start to type, all the graphics start moving around etc.

So what am I missing here?

Thanks!

Carmen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Angel

Oh! You need to make text form fields wherever she's allow to type.
View toolbars forms
click on the insert form field (right-click on it to specify text
length)

Then protect the document so the user can only type in the fields.
Tools protect document edit restrictions.

Think of a template as only a copy of what you'd like the document to
look like. And forms are for restricting content and user ease.

Tip: Make sure she has "field shading" option turned of in fields so
she doesn't have to see the grey box that a form field brings. Tools
Options View Field Shading never

Hope this helps!
Your friendly Word Angel
www.wordangel.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

My guess is that the graphics and such are part of a letterhead that should
be in the First Page Header. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

"Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" wrote in message
Hi! I've created a nifty letterhead for my boss. Now, how do I "freeze"

the
template so she can type up her letters using it?

I've saved it using the Document Template but if I open a new document

using
that template and I start to type, all the graphics start moving around

etc.

So what am I missing here?

Thanks!

Carmen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Put it in a First-Page Header. Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or
some other document where you want one header on the first page and a
different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" wrote in message
Hi! I've created a nifty letterhead for my boss. Now, how do I "freeze"
the template so she can type up her letters using it?

I've saved it using the Document Template but if I open a new document
using that template and I start to type, all the graphics start moving
around etc.

So what am I missing here?

Thanks!

Carmen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Thanks Charles! And Suzanne and Angel as well. You've all given me two
different ways of doing this, which I think is great!

C.