Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henrik Wendt Henrik Wendt is offline

Default "File In Use" when opening two documents based on the same templat

I've created a template (.dotx) and saved it on our fileserver so that all
employees can create documents based on this template. The template contains
styles, headers, footer and some standard text. We have now created a couple
of documents (.docx) based on this template but if I have a document thats
based on that template open and a colleague of mine opens a different
document that is also based on the same template he gets the following
message:
File In Use
xxxxxx.dotx is locked för editing by €˜Henrik.
Do you want to:
o Open a Read Only copy
o Create a local copy and merge your changes later
o Receive notification when the original copy is available

Why does he get this message?
How do we get rid of it?

Ive been searching on internet for a week now without finding any answer so
I hope that someone here can shed some light on this for us.
Thank you in advance.
/ Henrik Wendt