Dorothy

Default Suppress prompts when merging from excel datasource

Hi,

I use an Excel datasource to merge into word mailing labels. During merge,
it prompts for "Entire spreadsheet". Can we suppress this promt. I have only
one sheet in the excel datasource.

Another problem is that after the merge is done, and when I scroll forward
through the pages, the records seem to be aligned properly, but again when I
scroll backwards, part of first row of labels in the page appear at the
bottom of the previous row.

Can anyone please help me solve these problems?

Thanks,
Dorothy

Peter Jamieson

You would generally only see the "Entire spreadsheet" prompt if you were
using Word 2000 or earlier, or had opted to see the different connection
methods in Word 2002 or later. Otherwise, you see a different dialog box
anyway.

As far as I know, there are only two ways to get rid of this dialog:
a. don't make new connections to spreadsheets. In other words, if you only
ever use one spreadseheet as your data source, once you have set up your
data source, save the mail merge main document. When you re-open it, the
connection should be re-opened. However, these days you may see some
security-related questions which can be even more irritating :-)
b. open the connection using VBA code. But that is only worth it if you
have someone to write and maintain the code, and if it makes the whole
process of connecting to your data source simpler.

scroll backwards, part of first row of labels in the page appear at the
bottom of the previous row.

Sometimes this is a display problem - see e.g.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209859

Peter Jamieson

"Dorothy" wrote in message
Hi,

I use an Excel datasource to merge into word mailing labels. During merge,
it prompts for "Entire spreadsheet". Can we suppress this promt. I have
only
one sheet in the excel datasource.

Another problem is that after the merge is done, and when I scroll forward
through the pages, the records seem to be aligned properly, but again when
scroll backwards, part of first row of labels in the page appear at the
bottom of the previous row.

Can anyone please help me solve these problems?

Thanks,
Dorothy

Dorothy

Thank you so much for the reply.
The datsource that is always used is just one excel spreadsheet. But the
excel files may be different. So, that's the reason, I cannot save the mail
merge main document.

Regards,
Dorothy