MarvinWN

Default How do I browse the installed spelling dictionary?

I would like to read the complete spelling list installed with Word. It
seems to accept two spellings: inquiry, enquiry
Graham Mayor

Both are perfectly valid words with different meanings.
The main dictionary is not editable.

MarvinWN wrote:
I would like to read the complete spelling list installed with Word.
It seems to accept two spellings: inquiry, enquiry

MarvinWN

Thank you, Graham. I thought so and Websters confirmed it (I'm an English,
German, Spanish, Russian, computer science teacher), but although it's not
editable, I would like to be able to browse the read-only information in it.
/\/\arvin -

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Both are perfectly valid words with different meanings.
The main dictionary is not editable.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

MarvinWN wrote:
I would like to read the complete spelling list installed with Word.
It seems to accept two spellings: inquiry, enquiry

MarvinWN

Thank you, Suzanne. That's nice to know. Graham Mayor's reply is also
appreciated. However, I should be able to browse the listing of spelling
words contained in a read-only, un-editable file of some sort.
/\/\arvin -

MarvinWN wrote:
I would like to read the complete spelling list installed with Word.
It seems to accept two spellings: inquiry, enquiry

Jay Freedman

To elaborate on Graham's short but correct answer, the main dictionary is
not a list of words that you could browse. It's a binary-format file
organized for special access by the computer. It contains word roots,
prefixes and suffixes, and data for making rules about regular and irregular
constructions, and all of that is machine-encoded. You would need a special
program to follow all the possible paths through the data. If such a program
exists, only the programmers who created the dictionary have it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman