mileszat

Default Can you create a multi-layered merge where certain merge fields a.

I am using Word XP. I used to use WordPerfect DOS and was able to complete a
dopuble merge and assume the more sophisticted WOrd can do the same. I need
to create a document which incorporates 2 separate data bases. The first
merge creates the document with one data base; the second merge is a more
standard mail merge with names and addresses. None of the "Word Inserts"
seems to apply. Is there a way to create merge codes which survive the first
merge so they can be used in the second merge? The merge fields are
different between the first and second merge.
Doug Robbins

Word can only use a single flat file as a datasource. You will therefore
need to combine the datasources.

There's some things that I am not sure about. How many "documents" are
created by executing the first merge? If it is just one, then mailmerge is
probably not the thing to be using to create it.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"mileszat" wrote in message
I am using Word XP. I used to use WordPerfect DOS and was able to complete
dopuble merge and assume the more sophisticted WOrd can do the same. I
need
to create a document which incorporates 2 separate data bases. The first
merge creates the document with one data base; the second merge is a more
standard mail merge with names and addresses. None of the "Word Inserts"
seems to apply. Is there a way to create merge codes which survive the
first
merge so they can be used in the second merge? The merge fields are
different between the first and second merge.

mileszat

Thanks for your Reply. I am creating a single document, but it is a form
that is sent to 25 different recipients. STEP 1: I create the initial form
with the information specific to a particular client. This is done with a
merge (I'll cal it Document 1). Then I need to send that document to 25
recipients and I personalize the addresses on the document itself.
STEP 2: Mail Merge Document 1 into 25 personized documents.

How would you create Document 1 if not in mail merge?

Why is it that WordPerfect 5.1 DOS was more sophisticated than WORD????????

What do you mean by combining the data sources?

Thanks. Mileszat

"mileszat" wrote in message
I am using Word XP. I used to use WordPerfect DOS and was able to complete
dopuble merge and assume the more sophisticted WOrd can do the same. I
need
to create a document which incorporates 2 separate data bases. The first
merge creates the document with one data base; the second merge is a more
standard mail merge with names and addresses. None of the "Word Inserts"
seems to apply. Is there a way to create merge codes which survive the
first
merge so they can be used in the second merge? The merge fields are
different between the first and second merge.

Doug Robbins

I would have a template for the creation of document 1. It would contain
the necessary mergefields to bring in the data for the 25 recipients and it
would also contain a userform that displayed a listbox that would be loaded
with all of the client information so that you could choose the client for
which you wanted to produce the 25 form letters.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Word can only use a single flat file as a datasource. You will therefore
need to combine the datasources.

There's some things that I am not sure about. How many "documents" are
created by executing the first merge? If it is just one, then mailmerge
is
probably not the thing to be using to create it.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP