Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
OS OS is offline

Default Highlighting Text Not Deleting with Backspace

Hi,

I have a problem using MS word; I wonder if you have encountered te
following?

When I highlight text and start typing the highlighted text doesn't get
deleted (e.g. replaced by the first letter) as expected, infact what happens
is that the new text enters before the highlighted text.

The second problem, no doubt related, is that again if I highlight text and
press the backspace the highlighted text is not deleted.

This actually becomes quite annoying especially as my Outlook uses the word
editor.

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.8134.8132) SP2
Part of MS Office Pro 2003

Many Thanks,

Oliver

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Highlighting Text Not Deleting with Backspace

Hi Oliver,

I understand your frustration with this issue. It sounds like the "Overtype" mode is turned on in your Word program. This mode allows you to type over existing text, rather than inserting new text before it. Here's how you can turn it off:
  1. Open Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner.
  3. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  4. Click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  5. Scroll down to the "Editing options" section.
  6. Uncheck the box next to "Use overtype mode".
  7. Click "OK" to save the changes.

This should solve the issue with the highlighted text not being deleted when you start typing or press the backspace key.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any further questions!
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] trevorj@gmail.com is offline

Ah, thank you Suzanne. I had the same problem with the backspace not
deleting highlighted text. Driving me nuts! You're solution fixed
it. Thank you...!

Trevor

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"OS" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a problem using MS word; I wonder if you have encountered te
following?

When I highlight text and start typing the highlighted text doesn't get
deleted (e.g. replaced by the first letter) as expected, infact what

happens
is that the new text enters before the highlighted text.

The second problem, no doubt related, is that again if I highlight text

and
press the backspace the highlighted text is not deleted.

This actually becomes quite annoying especially as my Outlook uses the

word
editor.

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.8134.8132) SP2
Part of MS Office Pro 2003

Many Thanks,

Oliver- Hide quoted text -

tuulikki tuulikki is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS View Post
Hi,

I have a problem using MS word; I wonder if you have encountered te
following?

When I highlight text and start typing the highlighted text doesn't get
deleted (e.g. replaced by the first letter) as expected, infact what happens
is that the new text enters before the highlighted text. 192.168.0.1

The second problem, no doubt related, is that again if I highlight text and
press the backspace the highlighted text is not deleted.

This actually becomes quite annoying especially as my Outlook uses the word
editor.

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.8134.8132) SP2
Part of MS Office Pro 2003

Many Thanks,

Oliver
Go to Edit tab of Tools / Options
Check "Typing replaces selection." Word considers backspacing "typing."
willardfm58 willardfm58 is offline
Banned

Coronavirus has really affected the normal functioning of life. It has affected all kinds of people especially the students. Students are attending the online classes due to lockdown. But to attend an online class you must have fast internet and electricity of course. But the students living in distant areas don’t have these things. The internet speed isn’t good in those areas and so is the electricity. They are facing so many problems and all these things are disturbing their studies. But there’s this site that can help you during these crises ptcl speed test
gmmelissa gmmelissa is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for sharing this article. I am glad to see this amazing post. a href="https://chainsaw-dance.com"chainsaw dance/a
gmmelissa gmmelissa is offline
Junior Member

Hello, I really want to introduce to you one of the most classic games that bring lots of interesting emotions that I have ever experienced, it definitely will not disappoint you. chainsaw dance

kanejoyce885 kanejoyce885 is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for providing this information. I am delighted to discover your fantastic content.
smash karts
KevinDurant KevinDurant is offline
Junior Member

Thank you for sharing these valuable experiences! It's really helpful to me!
Sudoku 247
selenaoh123 selenaoh123 is offline
Junior Member

thanks for sharing, i am looking for it! subway surfers
MDavis74 MDavis74 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS View Post
Hi,

I have a problem using MS word; I wonder if you have encountered te
following?

When I highlight text and start typing the highlighted text doesn't get
deleted (e.g. replaced by the first letter) as expected, infact what happens
is that the new text enters before the highlighted text.

The second problem, no doubt related, is that again if I highlight text and
press the backspace the highlighted text is not deleted.

This actually becomes quite annoying especially as my Outlook uses the word
editor.

I am using MS Word 2003 (11.8134.8132) SP2
Part of MS Office Pro 2003

Many Thanks,

Oliver
Select the Office button on the top left of the screen, then click on 'Editor Options' at the very bottom right of the drop down box. Then, from the left-hand menu, select 'Advanced.' 'Typing replaces chosen text' should be the first checkbox. This box should be checked; if it is not, that is the source of your problem; simply check the box and save modifications.

https://www.milwicz-architekci.pl/