Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Confused report writer Confused report writer is offline

Default Format table colums cells to show $XX,XXX format

I am going crazy! I could have sworn I used to be able to do this but now I
can't figure it out!

I want two columns in my Word table to be formatted so that all numbers show
as whole dollars (with , for thousands). I want this format to hold in these
columns, even if I add a row to the table.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You're perhaps confusing Word with Excel. There is no way to do this in Word
except with fields (and the appropriate switches), and fields are not
replicated when you add a row.

wrote in message ...
I am going crazy! I could have sworn I used to be able to do this but now
can't figure it out!

I want two columns in my Word table to be formatted so that all numbers
show
as whole dollars (with , for thousands). I want this format to hold in
these
columns, even if I add a row to the table.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Confused report writer[_2_] Confused report writer[_2_] is offline

Ok, you say I can't do it except for "fields". How do I do it with fields?
Can I use the paint brush to copy the fields when I add a row?

wrote in message ...
I am going crazy! I could have sworn I used to be able to do this but now
can't figure it out!

I want two columns in my Word table to be formatted so that all numbers
show
as whole dollars (with , for thousands). I want this format to hold in
these
columns, even if I add a row to the table.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Well, the field has to be doing something. Since it appears you don't know
what a field is, it is unfortunate that the most basic Help topic Word
offers is "Insert a field," which assumes you already know what one is and
why you want it. But that would be a place to start. In the Field dialog you
can scan the available fields to see if there is one that would work for
you, but aside from formula (=) fields, there aren't many that would be used
for money amounts in tables. And no, you can Copy/Paste fields, but they are
content, not formatting, so the Format Painter wouldn't work.