Top Spin

Default Multi-chapter online/hardcopy tutorial with lots of graphics

I need to produce a fairly long document that will have lots of
embedded graphics on every page. Overall, the document could be
several hundred pages, but it can easily be broken up into chapters

I am about 20% of the way through chapter one and Word is dying. It
takes almost 20 seconds to save and this is increasing. I need a
different approach.

Is there some way that I can save the graphics as separate documents
or in some kind of a library? The graphics don't change that much. I
am mostly editing the text and maybe moving the graphics around. If I
could save a pointer or link of some kind, the document would be
manageable.

I wouod appreciate any pointers or hints as to where to start reading
or studying on how to best accomplish this.

The graphics are generated from several sources: Visio, Publisher, and
a music notation program. The music notation program can output its
images in jpeg format which I could load into Visio or Publsher if
that makes it easier.

Sorry for crossposting. I didn't want to multipost and I wasn't sure
where the best place to start this might be.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

You can insert the graphics as links. It will also help to work in Normal
view as much as possible, with "Picture placeholders" enabled.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Top Spin

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:54:37 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

You can insert the graphics as links. It will also help to work in Normal
view as much as possible, with "Picture placeholders" enabled.

That seems to work pretty well.

I was able to link individual objects in a Visio document to a Word
document. If I edit the images in Visio, the changes are propagated
over to Word. But I was surprised that when I did a Save As... of the
Visio document with a different name, the Word link went to the new
Visio document with the new name. It did not stay with the original
Visio document.

Can I disable this behavior? I think of Save As as making a copy of an
original but the original is still the original.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Top Spin

wrote:

You can insert the graphics as links. It will also help to work in Normal
view as much as possible, with "Picture placeholders" enabled.

I don't understand these results. It appears that even when I use
Paste Special with Paste Link, the actual image is stored in the Word
document.

1. I created a Word document with a few lines of text. When saved, it
shows as taking up 19KB of space.

2. Try regular cut and paste.

I then put a Visio graphic into the document using cut and paste. I
selected that one object in the Visio document and pressed Ctrl+C. I
then placed the cursor in the Word document and pressed Ctrl+V.

The image appears in the Word document. The Word document grows to
153KB, an increase of 134KB, so I presume that the actual image is
stored in the Word document.

I modified the image in Visio and refreshed the Word document (Ctrl+A,
F9). The image does not change, as I would expect.

Now I reveal the field codes (Alt+F9). The graphic is replaced by:

{ EMBED Visio.Drawing.6 }

Is this what it is supposed to be? I tried pasting a different image
using the same method. Same result. Exact same field codes.

3. Now I try Paste Special with the Paste Link option.

I go back to Visio and select the same image and press Ctrl+C. I then
Special dialog box opens, I click on Paste Link and leave the DSisplay
as Icon box unchecked. I click on OK.

The document switches to Print Layout View (it had been Normal) and
the image appears. It looks just like the one that was cut-and-pasted
except that it is larger and there is an anchor icon be the upper left
hand corner.

If I press Alt+F9, it does not change to a field code. It remains a
graphic. If I change the image in Visio, the Word copy changes
immediately. I don't even have to refresh it. But when I check, the
Word document has grown to 346KB, a gain of 193KB.

So is the image in the document or not? It appears that it is from the
increase in size, but it also automatically updates.

Finally, if I switch back to Normal View, the cut-and-paste image is
still visible as a graphic, but this one disappears altogether except
for a small black square next to the like it is anchored to.

3. Paste Special with Paste.

I noticed that Paste Special had a Paste option, too, so I tried that.
As with Paste Link, the document switched to Print Layout View and the
image appeared. Again, it was larger than the first one and this time
the nachor was by the lower left corner.

Switching back to Normal View, all I see is another little black
square and Alt+F9 has no effect. And the Word document has now grown
to 515 KB, an increase of 169 KB.

How the heck do I get just a link to a graphic - not the entire
graphic?

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Robert M. Franz

Hi Top Spin

Top Spin wrote:
I was able to link individual objects in a Visio document to a Word
document. If I edit the images in Visio, the changes are propagated
over to Word. But I was surprised that when I did a Save As... of the
Visio document with a different name, the Word link went to the new
Visio document with the new name. It did not stay with the original
Visio document.

As long as you insert the Visio objects via Insert | Object, the linking
will not work reliably (or, at least, didn't work so in earlier days; I
have yet to try it out in detail in Office 11; what did you say was your
version of Word ...?).

But when you prepare a long document, you can usually live without
beeing able to (in Word) double-click into the graph and start editing
the content in the host application (Visio in your case). Rather, try
bringing the content over to Word in another form. Export it from Visio,
or use Copy and then Edit | Paste Special; EMF would be my starting
point, I'm not sure what Word will offer to you comming from Visio.

Greetings
Robert
PS: Crossposting: I'm not sure what made you think web.authoring was a
good group, unless your ultimate goal of the document was to convert to
HTML maybe?
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Top Spin,

If you first size the graphic to the finished
dimension you'll want in Word while in
your other graphic applications then from those
applications export/save the graphics as
JPEG, BMP, TIFF, etc (choice of graphic form
and your print quality can be affected) to
a folder you can then, in Word use
Insert=Picture=From File and choose the
'Link only' choice from the [Insert|v] button
there.

If you use a paste choice you are adding the graphic
to the document. If you have the {Embed Object} choice
you have also setup a link (storing more than just the
graphic in the file) to the originating app.

When you pasted a graphic and Word switched itself
over to Print Layout view it was saying that the graphic
is being inserted in a manner different than text
(ie it's not inline with the text layer but is 'floating')

When a graphic is not formatted to layout as inline with text
then toggling the field codes with Alt+F9 won't show you
a code. You'd need to first have it inline with text to
have the field code toggle work and also for it to show
under Edit=Links.

==========
wrote:

[...]

Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Top Spin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:22:35 -0800, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)"
75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:

Hi Top Spin,

If you first size the graphic to the finished
dimension you'll want in Word while in
your other graphic applications then from those
applications export/save the graphics as
JPEG, BMP, TIFF, etc (choice of graphic form
and your print quality can be affected) to
a folder you can then, in Word use
Insert=Picture=From File and choose the
'Link only' choice from the [Insert|v] button
there.

This requires that each graphic object reside in a separate file,
right? I was hoping to be able to keep all of the graphics for each
chapter in one Visio document for ease of editing and less
proliferation of files.

If you use a paste choice you are adding the graphic
to the document.

Even using the Paste Link option?

If it's pasting a "link", why does it need to also paste the actual
image?

If you have the {Embed Object} choice
you have also setup a link (storing more than just the
graphic in the file) to the originating app.

So is there any way I can get just the link? Word is clearly able to
establish a link to a single object in a Visio document. I ought to be
able to include ONLY the link and not the object itself.

wrote:

[...]

Running MS Office 2K Pro
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195)
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Top Spin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:08:25 +0100, "Robert M. Franz"
wrote:

Hi Top Spin

Top Spin wrote:
I was able to link individual objects in a Visio document to a Word
document. If I edit the images in Visio, the changes are propagated
over to Word. But I was surprised that when I did a Save As... of the
Visio document with a different name, the Word link went to the new
Visio document with the new name. It did not stay with the original
Visio document.

As long as you insert the Visio objects via Insert | Object, the linking
will not work reliably (or, at least, didn't work so in earlier days; I
have yet to try it out in detail in Office 11; what did you say was your
version of Word ...?).

Sorry. I have Office 2000, Word 2000, Visio 2002 Standard. I have
added that to the signature.

But when you prepare a long document, you can usually live without
beeing able to (in Word) double-click into the graph and start editing
the content in the host application (Visio in your case).

Yes, I don't care about that. I don't even care if it dynamically
updates as long as I can run a command to update all of the graphics.

Rather, try
bringing the content over to Word in another form. Export it from Visio,
or use Copy and then Edit | Paste Special;

I did use Copy in Visio and Edit | Paste Special (Paste Link) in Word.
It brought the image into Word just fine. If I update the object in
Visio, it gets changed in the Word document, so I know Word is able to
establish a link to a single object in a Visio document.

But it seems to be embedding not only the link but the entire object
itself. WHY? Every time I Paste Special, the Word document grows by
several hundred KB. If it's just a link, it ought to grow by less that
100 bytes.

EMF would be my starting
point, I'm not sure what Word will offer to you coming from Visio.

I have never worked with EMF files. It sounds like this would be
another way to have the images as separate files. Right?

Greetings
Robert
PS: Crossposting: I'm not sure what made you think web.authoring was a
good group, unless your ultimate goal of the document was to convert to
HTML maybe?

Yeah, that might have been unnecessary. I do plan to put the document
up on a web site eventually. I was hoping that maybe the web guys
might have some ideas as they may deal with this sort of thing more
often.

--
Running MS Office 2K Pro
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Top Spin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:54:02 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

When I referred to linking, I meant using Insert | Picture | From File: Link
to File. I was not suggesting using Paste as Link.

OK. That would require that each graphic be a separate file, right?
That is, I would have to create the graphics (in Visio, for example)
and then somehow get each one into a separate file.

I have hundreds of graphics. Many of them are very similar. It would
be so much easier to keep them all in one Visio file so I can edit
them all at once.

What's puzzling is that the Paste Special | Paste Link seems to work
except that it ALSO includes the actual object in the Word document.
There must be some way to get just the link.

--
Running MS Office 2K Pro
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Robert M. Franz

Hi Top Spin

Top Spin wrote:
OK. That would require that each graphic be a separate file, right?
That is, I would have to create the graphics (in Visio, for example)
and then somehow get each one into a separate file.

I have hundreds of graphics. Many of them are very similar. It would
be so much easier to keep them all in one Visio file so I can edit
them all at once.

I don't know Visio at all. In PowerPoint, you have to possibility to
export (Save as) in the form of, i.e., WMF or EMF. This saves one
picture of each slide to a separate file. I've been using that a couple
of years ago and linked the resulting picture files to Word. Generation
of a new set of Pictures is a matter of two clicks.

What's puzzling is that the Paste Special | Paste Link seems to work
except that it ALSO includes the actual object in the Word document.
There must be some way to get just the link.

That's OLE for you! :-/

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Top Spin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:39:39 +0100, "Robert M. Franz"
wrote:

Hi Top Spin

Top Spin wrote:
OK. That would require that each graphic be a separate file, right?
That is, I would have to create the graphics (in Visio, for example)
and then somehow get each one into a separate file.

I have hundreds of graphics. Many of them are very similar. It would
be so much easier to keep them all in one Visio file so I can edit
them all at once.

I don't know Visio at all. In PowerPoint, you have to possibility to
export (Save as) in the form of, i.e., WMF or EMF. This saves one
picture of each slide to a separate file. I've been using that a couple
of years ago and linked the resulting picture files to Word. Generation
of a new set of Pictures is a matter of two clicks.

Are you saying that Powerpoint has a way of automatically saving each
slide (page?) as a separate named WMF or EMF file?

I am trying to get it down to a little finer resolution -- an
individual graphoc object in Visio.

What's puzzling is that the Paste Special | Paste Link seems to work
except that it ALSO includes the actual object in the Word document.
There must be some way to get just the link.

That's OLE for you! :-/

I don't understand. Are you saying that Paste Special is OLE or that I
need to learn and use OLE?

Greetings
Robert

--
Running MS Office 2K Pro
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Robert M. Franz

Top Spin wrote:
Are you saying that Powerpoint has a way of automatically saving each
slide (page?) as a separate named WMF or EMF file?

And a bunch of other formats, yes. That doesn't help you unless Visio
had this option, too (you can check this out, I cannot on this system here).

I am trying to get it down to a little finer resolution -- an
individual graphoc object in Visio.

Does that mean that your content originates in PPT and you transfer it
to Visio?

I don't understand. Are you saying that Paste Special is OLE or that I
need to learn and use OLE?

Past Special *plus* _as link_ may result in an OLE object, depending on
your further choice in the dialogue. If you chose for instanc "MS Visio
Object" or something like that, then that sure will be an OLE object.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Top Spin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:15:01 +0100, "Robert M. Franz"
wrote:

Top Spin wrote:
Are you saying that Powerpoint has a way of automatically saving each
slide (page?) as a separate named WMF or EMF file?

And a bunch of other formats, yes. That doesn't help you unless Visio
had this option, too (you can check this out, I cannot on this system here).

I don't see these options in my version of Visio. In any case, I think
it would apply to an entire page or maybe the entire document.

I am trying to get it down to a little finer resolution -- an
individual graphic object in Visio.

Does that mean that your content originates in PPT and you transfer it
to Visio?

Assuming that PPT is Powerpoint, no. I create my graphics in Visio.

I don't understand. Are you saying that Paste Special is OLE or that I
need to learn and use OLE?

Past Special *plus* _as link_ may result in an OLE object, depending on
your further choice in the dialogue. If you chose for instanc "MS Visio
Object" or something like that, then that sure will be an OLE object.

OK, if you say so. I don't give a damn how it is linked. I just want
it to work. And I'd prefer not to have to get a CS degree to make it
happen.

Paste Special is working. It just embeds the entire graphic. I can't
for the life of me figure out why.

Greetings
Robert

--
Running MS Office 2K Pro
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Another current thread (perhaps in word.drawing.graphics) suggests saving
Visio drawings as .JPG or .PNG, so presumably this is possible. I have Visio
2003, and Save As lists EMF, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIF, BMP, and WMF among the
formats to which it can save.

"Robert M. Franz" wrote in message
Top Spin wrote:
[...]

Top Spin

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:17:33 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Another current thread (perhaps in word.drawing.graphics) suggests saving
Visio drawings as .JPG or .PNG, so presumably this is possible. I have Visio
2003, and Save As lists EMF, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIF, BMP, and WMF among the
formats to which it can save.

My copy of Visio also shows most of those formats under Save As. I
just tested it with the EMF format and it will save individual
objects.

I suppose this will work, but it is not very convenient. To use it, I
would have to save each object as a separate file. I would have to
remember what name I chose for each one, and there are (or will be)
hundreds of them. Etc.

What is really annoying is that Paste Special should do what I want.
Shouldn't it? What is even more annoying is that it almost does do it.

Are you telling me that there is no way to establish a link between a
Word document and individual objects in Visio such that only the link
is stored in the Word document?

I will check out that other thread.

Thanks

--
Running MS Office 2K Pro
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
jay

OLE is what MS decided to call its technology (Object Linking and
Embedding) for doing this stuff.
I haven't had any luck linking to smaller objects than a whole file.
YMMV.
Welcome to DTP! any things are much more difficult than we would like
them to be.

If you have a huge number of graphics and a small amount of text, maybe
it should be published in a different manner.
Will it need to be updated frequently? regularly? seldom? never?
Does it require clever or fancy layout?
Could it be published as a photo album with captions on each pic?
Could it be published as a catalog, with the pics referenced by a
database ?

Just some thoughts...
Jay

Top Spin

On 14 Mar 2005 09:31:16 -0800, "jay" wrote:

OLE is what MS decided to call its technology (Object Linking and
Embedding) for doing this stuff.
I haven't had any luck linking to smaller objects than a whole file.
YMMV.
Welcome to DTP! any things are much more difficult than we would like
them to be.

If you have a huge number of graphics and a small amount of text, maybe
it should be published in a different manner.
Will it need to be updated frequently? regularly? seldom? never?
Does it require clever or fancy layout?
Could it be published as a photo album with captions on each pic?
Could it be published as a catalog, with the pics referenced by a
database ?

Just some thoughts...
Jay

I am open to suggestions for different publishing methods. Word is
what I know so I started with that.

I'd say the ratio of graphics to text something like a short paragraph
in between each graphic.

It will be updated frequently during the development, and then, I
hope, not much.

Layout is fairly un-clever.

Do you have another method in mind?

--
Running MS Office 2K Pro
with Visio 2002 Standard
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
jay

"any things are much more difficult "
Please read that as "Many things..."

I was just thinking that there are other software approaches:
Perhaps a photo album software would work, but you probably need a bit
more structure than that, perhaps Table of Contents, header/footer,
etc.
If this is a one-shot deal, then you may not want to use another
software such as Ventura or Frame.
In most approaches that I can think of, you will need to create each
graphic seperately.
Some software (Ventura, probably Frame and others) you can import a
graphic and use it in many places with minimal overhead for the
additional places. By scaling and cropping in the display frames, you
can reduce the number of seperate graphics.
Leaving the graphics external will reduce the size of the file (Word or
any other) but remember: most software will cache a screen image of the
graphic in the document. That's why the doc doesn't just grow by 100
bytes or so when you add a link.
You might be able to put the graphics in EPS format and leave them
external. Older versions of Word couldn't create a preview of the
graphic. Of course, you can't see what they look like without printing
them, either. Further, you won't get decent results (if any) unless you
print to a Postscript printer (or make a PDF).
HTH
Jay