Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
M. P.[_2_] M. P.[_2_] is offline

Default How to turn off automatic heading/styles

Every now and then MSword decides I must want a particular heading/
styles format (this is the series of Aa Bb Cc icons that take up about
1/3 of my toolbar).

I use multi-level lists extensively and all this auto formatting does
is cause problems with it. I never use the heading/styles function
because it never guesses correctly and I have to spend time formatting
out of it. I would like to turn off the automatic part of it. I
already know I can't turn it off completely or remove it from the
toolbar.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Have you disabled automatic headings and "Define styles based on your
formatting in AutoFormat As You Type (Office Button | Word | Options |
Proofing: AutoCorrect Options)?

http://word.mvps.org