Gary Burton

Default Can't hide my graphics

I am making up a homework very long book for my students, and I want to
also be able to print out an answer key also. It is very convenient to use
hidden text because I can print it without the answers for the students and
with the answers for myself. Although that works beauifully for text, many
of the answers are drawings. Sometimes they are line drawings, sometimes
bitmaps (Jpeg or Bmp), and I know of no way to hide the drawings or bitmaps.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

--
Gary Burton

Jezebel

The trick is to hide the paragraph to which the graphic is anchored. You'll
need to show object anchors (Tools Options), and you'll make life easier
for yourself if you make a habit of locking the anchors.

"Gary Burton" wrote in message
I am making up a homework very long book for my students, and I want to
also be able to print out an answer key also. It is very convenient to
use
hidden text because I can print it without the answers for the students
and
with the answers for myself. Although that works beauifully for text,
many
of the answers are drawings. Sometimes they are line drawings, sometimes
bitmaps (Jpeg or Bmp), and I know of no way to hide the drawings or
bitmaps.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

--
Gary Burton

Gary Burton

Dear Jezebel: (Great name!)

I am trying to make this work, but I can't see my anchors. Help file is
no help. I found an article that tells me how to enable viewing object
anchors. I made the selection in Tools--Options--View tab. The article
says I can see the anchors if I go to the "page layout" view. I can't find
a "page layout" view. I do have a "print layout" view. I am using Office
XP.

* Are the anchors automatically placed, or am I supposed to create them?
If I should creat them, please tell me how.
* How can I view the anchors now that I have elected to view "object
anchors".

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi Gary,

Every floating (that is, not in-line) graphic has an anchor, which is
automatically created by Word when you insert the graphic or when you
convert an in-line graphic to floating. By default it's placed at the
start of the paragraph that contains the insertion point when you
create the graphic. (Using a macro, you can anchor a graphic somewhere
else than at the insertion point.)

To see the anchor, once the option is selected, you have to click on
the graphic to select it. The anchor is represented by an
anchor-shaped icon in the left margin at the start of a paragraph. It
may or may not be near the graphic itself, but will always be on the
same page. If the paragraph containing the anchor moves to another
page, the graphic will also move because they can never be on
different pages.

Normally you can grab the anchor icon and drag it to another
paragraph. If you open the Format Picture dialog (whose name changes
with the type of graphic, such as Format Text Box or Format
AutoShape), go to the Layout tab and click Advanced, there's a
checkbox for "Lock anchor"; when that's checked, you can't drag the
anchor any longer. The icon then shows a lock symbol next to the
anchor.

In the same dialog, there's an option for "Move with text". When
that's checked, if the anchor paragraph moves up or down the page, the
graphic will move by the same amount. When it's unchecked, the text
can move up or down but the graphic stays at the same location --
unless the text moves to another page, in which case the graphic gets
pulled along with it.

To clear one other point of confusion, the Print Layout view in Word
XP was called the Page Layout view in earlier versions. Sometimes we
have trouble keeping these name changes straight. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Gary Burton

Thank you!

I couldn't see the anchors because I had the graphics layout selected to
"in-line". It was your mentioning of "in line" that got me going again.

If you don't mind, please keep this conversation on your watch list for
a while. I think I have all the information needed to make it work, but it
will take me a while to get into the swing of it and I may have more
questions.

wrote:

Dear Jezebel: (Great name!)

I am trying to make this work, but I can't see my anchors. Help file
is
no help. I found an article that tells me how to enable viewing object
anchors. I made the selection in Tools--Options--View tab. The article
says I can see the anchors if I go to the "page layout" view. I can't
find
a "page layout" view. I do have a "print layout" view. I am using Office
XP.

* Are the anchors automatically placed, or am I supposed to create
them?
If I should creat them, please tell me how.
* How can I view the anchors now that I have elected to view "object
anchors".

.. .