Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ecgarcia

Default Why wont Word 2003 let me type anything?

When I start a new document, word will not let me type anything. what could
be wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Your version of Word could be a trial version and the time has expired. Is
this a relatively new computer? Does it also have Word Perfect installed?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"ecgarcia" wrote in message
When I start a new document, word will not let me type anything. what
could
be wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

Do you have an Office 2003 trial version that has expired? If
so, there are three ways to convert the trial version to a full
version:
1. purchase a product key online (see
http://www.microsoft.com/office/trial/convert.mspx for more
information),
2. purchase a full version at your favorite retailer and
install it after you uninstall the trial version, or
3. purchase an upgrade version at your favorite retailer (you
must own at least one of the products listed in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832288 in order to qualify for
upgrade pricing) and install it after you uninstall the trial
version.

ecgarcia wrote:
When I start a new document, word will not let me type anything. what could
be wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Garfield,

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the CD from an OEM version of
Office will work when installing an upgrade in a new system? Just curious.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

ecgarcia wrote:
When I start a new document, word will not let me type anything. what
could be wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

OEM or retail should work as far as I know... the only ones I
know don't work are academic version CDs.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] wrote:

Garfield,

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the CD from an OEM version of
Office will work when installing an upgrade in a new system? Just curious.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Okay. Like I said, I was just curious. I have full versions but you never
know when this info may come in handy.

--

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] wrote:

Garfield,

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the CD from an OEM version of
Office will work when installing an upgrade in a new system? Just
curious.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Maybe that's what he meant? Student and academic tend to be easily
misused/confused.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I knew that the Student & Teacher Edition doesn't qualify for upgrades, but
this is also true of academic editions?

so
all may benefit.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in
message

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] wrote:

Garfield,

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the CD from an OEM version of
Office will work when installing an upgrade in a new system? Just

curious.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

Oh yeah, I forgot the Students and Teachers editions of Office XP
and Office 2003 don't qualify for upgrade. But yes, academic
editions don't qualify for upgrade either.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I knew that the Student & Teacher Edition doesn't qualify for upgrades, but
this is also true of academic editions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Considering the much lower prices for Students and Teachers
and Academic releases, qualifying persons can simply buy
the latest release of the product without worrying about the
upgrade.

Recently attended a party in which four educators and a school
administrative assistant were in attendance. I queried them on
how their schools' students and teachers qualified for the Student
& Teachers edition. Was there a secret code passed around in
the school? None of them were aware that Microsoft offered
heavily discounted software for teachers, students, and academics.
Two had purchased the full retail version of Office 2003 standard.
They were unhappy to learn of the existence of the Students and
Teachers edition of Office. They all said that there is zero marketing
of Microsoft products in their individual schools. Perhaps the knowledge
doesn't filter down from the district level.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I knew that the Student & Teacher Edition doesn't qualify for upgrades, but
this is also true of academic editions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I used to work for a computer manufacturer. Believe me, I told my clients
about it. They needed some sort of proof that I had to fax back to corporate
headquarters. I made sure I saved my clients the $$$ - because it's what I
would have wanted someone to do for me.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I knew that the Student & Teacher Edition doesn't qualify for upgrades,
but
this is also true of academic editions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Nobody seems to know what "proof" is required to qualify
for the Students and Teachers Edition of Office. The
educators I spoke with said that they didn't know what
would be expected of them to qualify for the educational
package. Their school principals didn't know, either.

My sister has a 15-year old son in prep school. She passed
on the Students and Teachers Edition because the prep
school didn't know anything about it. She bought a full retail
copy of Office 2003 standard for her son's use.

Perhaps university book stores are conversant with purchasing
the Students and Teachers Edition of Office, but knowledge
of the package seems non-existent at the middle and high
school levels. And at CompUSA, at least, it's marketed on
the shelves along with operating system software...and many
people simply overlook it while browsing for other software.

I use Office Professional. If there were a Students and
Teachers version of Office 12 Professional, I'd consider
returning to school long enough to qualify for the discounted
package, and then demand a refund on tuition. (Grin.)

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I knew that the Student & Teacher Edition doesn't qualify for upgrades, but
this is also true of academic editions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

AFAIK, no proof is required. It's openly sold in office and computer
discount stores, and I am not aware that any validation is done at checkout
nor when you install and activate.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I knew that the Student & Teacher Edition doesn't qualify for

upgrades, but
this is also true of academic editions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Proof for the academic discount is different. Academic requires photo ID and
a copy of the letter of acceptance or something similar be faxed to
Microsoft.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I knew that the Student & Teacher Edition doesn't qualify for
upgrades, but
this is also true of academic editions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sunny

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
Proof for the academic discount is different. Academic requires photo ID
and a copy of the letter of acceptance or something similar be faxed to
Microsoft.

snip

Not in Australia, "academic discount purchase eligibility" is checked at the
retail store.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Interesting. They don't make a photocopy? We had to fax it to our Education
department.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Sunny" wrote in message

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
Proof for the academic discount is different. Academic requires photo ID
and a copy of the letter of acceptance or something similar be faxed to
Microsoft.

snip

Not in Australia, "academic discount purchase eligibility" is checked at
the retail store.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sunny

No "copies" are taken, just show a student pass, or school/college
authority/attendance record.
(The "student" category is loose, imho, because it seems to include part
time "courses" of infinite variety) :-)

.. .