Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ljc

Default inserting photos to word documents

I want to prepare some sort of template I can keep on my desktop. Into this
template I will insert 1 to 10 photos of a surgery case. Then I will open
word within my practice management system and do letters and op notes,
inserting this template with this set of photos into all the documents I am
creating that I need to insert this specific set of photos to.

Then I'll start over using this same template on my desktop to insert
another group of photos from another surgery case and repeat this process for
each surgical patient.

Any ideas how I can do this? I've tried to use text boxes within a text
box, but word will not recognize this format. (using microsoft word 2003)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Use a table (with or without cell borders as preferred) with fixed width
cells. The pictures you place in the cells will adapt to the width you have
set.
Save the document with the empty table and any standard repeated text as a
template then use file new to create a new document from that template.

ljc wrote:
I want to prepare some sort of template I can keep on my desktop.
Into this template I will insert 1 to 10 photos of a surgery case.
Then I will open word within my practice management system and do
letters and op notes, inserting this template with this set of photos
into all the documents I am creating that I need to insert this
specific set of photos to.

Then I'll start over using this same template on my desktop to insert
another group of photos from another surgery case and repeat this
process for each surgical patient.

Any ideas how I can do this? I've tried to use text boxes within a
text box, but word will not recognize this format. (using
microsoft word 2003)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi ljc

A template doesn't work as you describe. A template is the basis from which
a Word document is created. Every Word document is based on a template. If
you don't explicitly choose the template, then Word choose normal.dot, and
bases your document on that. So a template isn't something you would insert
into a document. For more information on that, see
What is the relationship between a Word document and its template?
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/temp...ons\index.html

I think I would proceed as follows. It is by no means the only way to
achieve what you want, and others here may proffer better ideas, but this
might be a good start.

1. Use File New and choose to create a template instead of a document. (In
Word 2003, that's File New. In the New Document pane, choose On My
computer and then choose to create as a template.)

Save the template now (so we can get that bit over and done with). Call it
something like "PhotoGrid". By default, Word will save it in your default
templates folder.

I assume these photos come to you very large, and you need an easy way to
get them to a manageable size. The easiest way to do that is in a Table
cell, because Word conveniently re-sizes the pic to fit the cell.

How to lay out this table in the template depends on how you want to use the
pixs in the final documents you'll create in the practice management
system. If you want each photo to be separate, and flow text around them,
then, in your PhotoGrid template, create 10 separate tables, each with 1 row
and 1 column. If you lay out your notes in "columns" with, say, text on the
left, and pic on the right, then you might choose a 10-row, 2-column table.
You may need to experiment over time with what works best.

In any case, size the column(s) that will contain the photos appropriately.
Then, click in the table and do Table Properties. On the Table tab, click
Options. Un-tick the Automatically re-size to fit contents box. Having
unticked that box, when you later insert your photos into the table cells,
they will not expand to fit the picture.

Now, re-save your template.

2. When you want to create a bunch of photos, do File New. Choose your
PhotoGrid template. This will create a new document into which you can
insert your photos. Insert the photos as required.

Save your new document with an appropriate name (say
"AppendixSurgeryForBeginners.doc" or some such).

3. Create your document(s) in the management practice system.

When required, choose Insert File and choose
AppendixSurgeryForBeginners.doc. That will insert the pixs into your
document. (Or, you could just keep the photo document open and do cut and
paste.) In either case, you can now add notes, edit or delete the photos.

4. When you come to the next lot of photos, do File New again and choose
the PhotoGrid. Insert those photos and save as, say
"TonsilectomiesOnTuesdays.doc". Then you can use Insert File to insert
those photos into future documents.

5. If you need to adjust the PhotoGrid layout of your tables into which you
insert the photos, do File Open and open the PhotoGrid.dot template (which
you will find in your whatever folder is named at Tools Options File
Locations User Templates. When you do that, you're actually editing the
template, and any changes you make to the template will take effect next
time you do File New and choose the PhotoGrid template as the basis for a
document.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
word xp crashes after macros are recorded kharris0405 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 11th 05 11:50 PM