Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sully Sully is offline

Default shared global template problem

We use a centralized global template on the network, with shortcuts in
the users Startup folders (in Office, not Word). Occassionally, a
user's system will cease connecting and showing the toolbar that gives
them access to the global template (and its related templates). When I
look in their Startup folder, the shortcut is still there, and the
properties indicate that the target is correct, and if I click on "Find
Target" it does so successfully, and meanwhile ump-teen other users are
pointing to the same global template and functioning normally. Any
idea what gives? Sometimes deleting the shortcut and recreating it
works and sometimes it doesn't. So far, everytime I've copied the
global template to the Startup folder, it works, but that makes
maintenance awkward. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sully Sully is offline

We are not sharing the Normal.dot file. We use a global template which
includes macros and other templates such as PurchReq.dot There is no
Normal.dot file in the network folder that includes the shared
templates.
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
See "You cannot share the Normal.dot file among multiple users in Word"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468

"Sully" wrote in message
oups.com...
We use a centralized global template on the network, with shortcuts in
the users Startup folders (in Office, not Word). Occassionally, a
user's system will cease connecting and showing the toolbar that gives
them access to the global template (and its related templates). When I
look in their Startup folder, the shortcut is still there, and the
properties indicate that the target is correct, and if I click on "Find
Target" it does so successfully, and meanwhile ump-teen other users are
pointing to the same global template and functioning normally. Any
idea what gives? Sometimes deleting the shortcut and recreating it
works and sometimes it doesn't. So far, everytime I've copied the
global template to the Startup folder, it works, but that makes
maintenance awkward. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, misread your post.

ups.com...
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
See "You cannot share the Normal.dot file among multiple users in Word"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

oups.com...