Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Elaine Elaine is offline

Default TOC that includes Section numbers, not page numbers

I need to create a table of contents (or index?) that shows the Section
number of each heading instead of the page number. Is this possible? I'm
using Word 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_149_] Henk57[_149_] is offline

Elaine;2529022 Wrote:
I need to create a table of contents (or index?) that shows the Section

number of each heading instead of the page number. Is this possible?
I'm
using Word 2003.

Assuming you mean by "section" a "chapter" (and not Word's meaning of
section), you can use Heading 1 style with Outline numbering and
suppress page numbers in the TOC 1 style. Then, the TOC looks like:

1. AAAAAA
2. BBBBB
3. CCC
4. DDDD
etc

Does this answers your question?

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Little Little is offline

Hi - thanks for that. Unfortunately I do mean Section. Each Section starts
with a Heading 1 style (which is not numbered and I don't want it to be,
hence I haven't used Chapters). The table of contents needs to show the
Section number where the Page number would ordinarily be. Each section
starts at page 1, so currently the TOC just shows a list of page 1s. I've
temporarily got around it by creating a table with hyperlinks to my Heading
1s and typing in the Section number, but this is not ideal. I look forward
to any further response...

"Henk57" wrote:

Elaine;2529022 Wrote:
I need to create a table of contents (or index?) that shows the Section

number of each heading instead of the page number. Is this possible?
I'm
using Word 2003.

Assuming you mean by "section" a "chapter" (and not Word's meaning of
section), you can use Heading 1 style with Outline numbering and
suppress page numbers in the TOC 1 style. Then, the TOC looks like:

1. AAAAAA
2. BBBBB
3. CCC
4. DDDD
etc

Does this answers your question?

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_156_] Henk57[_156_] is offline

"Henk57" wrote:
-

Elaine;2529022 Wrote: -
I need to create a table of contents (or index?) that shows the
Section

number of each heading instead of the page number. Is this possible?

I'm
using Word 2003.-

Assuming you mean by "section" a "chapter" (and not Word's meaning of
section), you can use Heading 1 style with Outline numbering and
suppress page numbers in the TOC 1 style. Then, the TOC looks like:

1. AAAAAA
2. BBBBB
3. CCC
4. DDDD
etc

Does this answers your question?

--
Henk57
-

Frankly, I don't understand the problem. Shd show like this?

SECTION
AAAA .................................1
BBB.....................................1
CC.......................................1
DDDDDDDD............................2
etc

Or

SECTION - 1
AAAA .................................a
BBB....................................b
CC.....................................c

SECTION - 2
DDDDDDDD..........................d
(a,b,c,d are page numbers)

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Little Little is offline

What I need is the following:

Heading 1..........Section No
Heading 1..........Section No
Heading 1..........Section No

instead of:

Heading 1..............Page No
Heading 1..............Page No
etc

Does that make sense?

"Henk57" wrote:
-

Elaine;2529022 Wrote: -
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, there is no built-in (and quite possibly no practical) way to
do this.

"Little" wrote in message
What I need is the following:

Heading 1..........Section No
Heading 1..........Section No
Heading 1..........Section No

instead of:

Heading 1..............Page No
Heading 1..............Page No
etc

Does that make sense?

"Henk57" wrote:
-

Elaine;2529022 Wrote: -
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_157_] Henk57[_157_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill;2537234 Wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no built-in (and quite possibly no practical)
way to
do this.

"Little" wrote in message
...-
What I need is the following:

Heading 1..........Section No
Heading 1..........Section No
Heading 1..........Section No

instead of:

Heading 1..............Page No
Heading 1..............Page No
etc

Does that make sense?

"Henk57" wrote:
-

"Henk57" wrote:
-

Elaine;2529022 Wrote: -
[...]

Technically, I see a way to do this - if the heading1's are shown in
order of appearance like in a normal TOC. This seems rather useless to
me, though, as the Section1 headings all appear grouped together in the
TOC, then the Section2 headings, etc. If this is what you want I can
give you a way to do it; pls reply then.
To make your question more sensible, my guess is you probably want to
organize your "heading1's" alphabetically, or at least in some order
other than in order of appearance, . This is then some kind of Index.
This cannot be done automatically within the TOC possibilities, as
Suzanne said (at least not without some clever VBA (and that's not my
forte)). You can make a table manually with hyperlinks to the actual
sections but this cannot be populated automatically - you have to redo
this table (or at least adjust it) with every "heading1" you add.

--
Henk57