LPC

Default Prevent Merge message from appearing

Hi. I´ve got this message EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a merged Word document
with data source from an Access database:
"Opening this document will run the following SQL command
SELECT * FROM TableName
Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to
continue?"

This message is really annoying to me, so please help me to find a way to
stop it from appearing
Thanks

Jimsolt

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "'Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command' Message When You Open
a Word Document" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765

"LPC" wrote in message
news
Hi. I´ve got this message EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a merged Word document
with data source from an Access database:
"Opening this document will run the following SQL command
SELECT * FROM TableName
Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to
continue?"

This message is really annoying to me, so please help me to find a way to
stop it from appearing
Thanks

From what I understand the message is programmed to be there as a security
measure and if I don't feel qualified to edit my registry, then I'm just
stuck with it. Am I correct?
If so, I guess all my recipients will get to opem my data base or be annoyed
by the message. Surely there must be a way to avoid this annoyance.
Thanks

Editing the Registry is not that daring a venture! Nor do I find the message
that much of a hassle myself.

"Jimsolt" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "'Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command' Message When You

Open
a Word Document" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"LPC" wrote in message
news
Hi. I´ve got this message EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a merged Word

document
with data source from an Access database:
"Opening this document will run the following SQL command
SELECT * FROM TableName
Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to
continue?"

This message is really annoying to me, so please help me to find a way

stop it from appearing
Thanks

From what I understand the message is programmed to be there as a security
measure and if I don't feel qualified to edit my registry, then I'm just
stuck with it. Am I correct?
If so, I guess all my recipients will get to opem my data base or be

annoyed
by the message. Surely there must be a way to avoid this annoyance.
Thanks

Jimsolt

Perhaps I would find the message "non-hassling" also, but I'm concerned with
what happens when a recipient gets the message. On a copy I sent to myself I
got the message, and I could open the data base. Should I assume another
recipeint would 1) get the message and/or 2) not have access to the database?
Thanks.

"Jimsolt" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "'Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command' Message When You

Open
a Word Document" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"LPC" wrote in message
news Hi. I´ve got this message EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a merged Word

document
with data source from an Access database:
"Opening this document will run the following SQL command
SELECT * FROM TableName
Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to
continue?"

This message is really annoying to me, so please help me to find a way

stop it from appearing
Thanks

From what I understand the message is programmed to be there as a security
measure and if I don't feel qualified to edit my registry, then I'm just
stuck with it. Am I correct?
If so, I guess all my recipients will get to opem my data base or be

annoyed
by the message. Surely there must be a way to avoid this annoyance.
Thanks

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Smltc29sdA==?=,

but I'm concerned with
what happens when a recipient gets the message. On a copy I sent to myself I
got the message, and I could open the data base. Should I assume another
recipeint would 1) get the message and/or 2) not have access to the database?

There's nothing you can do to control what the recipient gets, in this respect.
This is a security measure for the individual machine/user-profile. If the
recipient uses mail merge regularly, they'll be familiar with the message (or
have turned it off in the Registry). If you have to assume they're not, you
might put a link to the KB article in your "covering message".

The only way to NOT have the message display is to send the files without a link
to the data source. Then have macro do the linking when the document is opened.
Of course, then you risk running into the Macro security messages, unless you've
digitally signed your code, and the recipient "trusts" your digital signature.

Blame it on all the people who get a kick out of invading other people's
machines. All Microsoft is trying to do is protect those using their software.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)