Joseph N.

Default Document Defaults and Different Templates

I am confused about the interrelationship of (a) normal.dot, (b) templates in a startup folder, and (c) attached templates.

First of all, what does it mean to attach a template? I know how it's done; that's not what I mean. What is it about the attached template(s) that becomes available in the active document?

Second, what are the differences among an attached template, a template in the startup folder, and the template on which the active document is based?

I have a document with a set of paragraph styles that I would like to be available by default. I know I can transfer them to normal.dot. Can I also make them available by attaching the template to the active document? By putting it in a startup folder?

If there are some settings--like toolbars, macros, menus--that come from templates in a startup folder and from the template that the active document is based on, then what different function is served by attaching a template?

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "