Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cscott

Default Track Changes Feature

I received an item back with changes tracked and the comment states "field
code changed." Does anyone know what this means? When the change is
rejected, it appears that there is nothing different. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Apparently you have some fields in your document and one of them was changed.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"cscott" wrote:

I received an item back with changes tracked and the comment states "field
code changed." Does anyone know what this means? When the change is
rejected, it appears that there is nothing different. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cscott

Thank you Carol. We just can't tell what was changed. We tried "rejecting"
the change but there didn't appear to be any difference.

"cscott" wrote:

I received an item back with changes tracked and the comment states "field
code changed." Does anyone know what this means? When the change is
rejected, it appears that there is nothing different. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This may just mean that the field was "updated." Updating a field doesn't
necessarily change anything. For example, a CreateDate field will not
actually change no matter how many times it's updated. Page number fields
are updated whenever you print or Print Preview, but they may not actually
change.

"cscott" wrote in message
I received an item back with changes tracked and the comment states "field
code changed." Does anyone know what this means? When the change is
rejected, it appears that there is nothing different. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cscott

Thanks Suzanne. It was just strange that all the other track changes showed
exactly what was changed and these two other comments didn't. Maybe you're
right and nothing was actually changed....but then if nothing was changed,
why would it have anything at all? I appreciate your help.

"cscott" wrote in message
I received an item back with changes tracked and the comment states "field
code changed." Does anyone know what this means? When the change is
rejected, it appears that there is nothing different. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word sees "Update Fields" as a change regardless of what actually happens.
If you have "Update fields" checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options,
then if you open a document and print it, when you go to close it, even
though you have not made any changes, you will be prompted to save the
document. If you look at the Undo list, you'll see "Update Fields." I am not
sure (indeed, I am not at all confident) that this is the issue with Track
Changes, but it is a hypothesis based on the experience I describe.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This may just mean that the field was "updated." Updating a field

doesn't
necessarily change anything. For example, a CreateDate field will not
actually change no matter how many times it's updated. Page number

fields
are updated whenever you print or Print Preview, but they may not

actually
change.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.