RockyMtnHigh

Default I cannot open a formatted disk and how do I get it to open?

I have a formatted disk that I have been using for quite some time and now
the computer won't let me open it. I keep getting a msg that says the disk
is not formatted or may have been made for a Mac. I have windows XP and
using Office 2003.
garfield-n-odie

You should not open a Word document directly from removable media
(floppy disk, CD, etc.). Doing so will likely corrupt the Word file or
the media itself. Instead, you should copy the Word file to your hard
drive, edit the file there, and then copy the modified file back to the
removable media.

RockyMtnHigh wrote:

I have a formatted disk that I have been using for quite some time and now
the computer won't let me open it. I keep getting a msg that says the disk
is not formatted or may have been made for a Mac. I have windows XP and
using Office 2003.

sf

I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I knew
was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a different
computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
computer that won't let me save to removable disk?

sf
``````````````

RockyMtnHigh wrote:

I have a formatted disk that I have been using for quite some time

and now
the computer won't let me open it. I keep getting a msg that says

the disk
is not formatted or may have been made for a Mac. I have windows

XP and
using Office 2003.

TF

If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you tried
it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full format of the
floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked. Floppies are mechanical
and very ancient technology.

However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document directly
from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or from the floppy.

The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something
designed for the 21st Century.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I knew
: was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a different
: computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
: computer that won't let me save to removable disk?
:
: sf
: ``````````````
:
:
: RockyMtnHigh wrote:
:
: I have a formatted disk that I have been using for quite some time
: and now
: the computer won't let me open it. I keep getting a msg that says
: the disk
: is not formatted or may have been made for a Mac. I have windows
: XP and
: using Office 2003.
:

Jim

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:20:35 -0800, garfield-n-odie
wrote:

You should not open a Word document directly from removable media
(floppy disk, CD, etc.). Doing so will likely corrupt the Word file or
the media itself. Instead, you should copy the Word file to your hard
drive, edit the file there, and then copy the modified file back to the
removable media.

Which brings you back to the OP's problem: if he/she cannot access the
disk, it is impossible to "copy the Word file to your hard drive, edit
the file there, and then copy the modified file back to the removable
media."

Blessed be, for sure...

Genine

You could try and recover the files on the floppy using a utility for that
purpose, e.g. Norton Utilities. But it may not be entirely recoverable.

Never edit a document on a floppy. It's a hard lesson to learn!
Genine

wrote:

You should not open a Word document directly from removable media
(floppy disk, CD, etc.). Doing so will likely corrupt the Word file or
the media itself. Instead, you should copy the Word file to your hard
drive, edit the file there, and then copy the modified file back to the
removable media.

Which brings you back to the OP's problem: if he/she cannot access the
disk, it is impossible to "copy the Word file to your hard drive, edit
the file there, and then copy the modified file back to the removable
media."

Blessed be, for sure...

sf

Terry - I have further information about the situation and this isn't
the time for sarcasm. I'm a teacher, those computers were donated
years ago and the floppy drive isn't external - do there is no option
to use something else more up to date. I am not in a position to
consider if an EXTERNAL CD-RW is the answer to my problem (or not).

YES - floppies are ancient technology, as are the computers I'm having
trouble with... does this mean you're going to donate some modern
technology to my classroom? LOL Then you won't need to scoff at my
situation.

FYI: I tried to reformat the floppy on the computer that didn't like
it, but it gave me a message that the floppy was a damaged. The other
two computers didn't reject the floppy, but when I transfered it to my
"new technology" computer which usually reads such old technology, the
floppy didn't have any information on it. Maybe the floppy was flawed,
but it was straight out of the same box which has produced other
floppies that worked on those computers - so maybe it's a factory
problem, maybe not. I was hoping for a little "more obvious"
information though... does this mean you think 3 computers are suddenly
out of alignment or do you mean the computer reading it is suddenly out
of alignment?

I'm unclear about what reading directly from a floppy drive means. Can
you understand that in the entire time I've used floppies I've done
that without any problem - EVER? I know what you mean by direct write,
but I'm unclear what you mean by direct read. I've never heard of
saving a file to HD before reading, but my problem was that the files
didn't appear on the floppy in the first place - so it wasn't even an
option.

Glad you brought up ancient technology though. My old/home win98
finally died this week (haven't given the HD a good, christian burial
though, because I need to recover data). Soooo looking at new comptuer
options - I see an internal floppy isn't an option in many cases. I
have lots of floppies that I need to read, so I want an internal floppy
drive, but it isn't available on a lot of the Dell options. :\

My BIG question is about the other options. I' stayong with 80 GIG.
No reason to upgrade from that - but I'm wondering if the I should
choose the DVD-RW/DVD option with appropriate software (otherwise it
wouldn't be an option). However, I need to know what situations I
would use it for.... and are they legal or illegal?

Are you up to helping me with things like selecting dual/single channel
SDRAM?

I'm thinking of selecting (OS) XP-Pro, because it would be convienent
to be able to access my work computer from home and vice versa... but I
only want "Home Office" because I need Power Point, but don't need
anything fancier than Word and Excel beyond that.

Feedback is welcome.

TIA
sf
````````

TF wrote:
If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you

tried
it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full format of

the
floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked. Floppies are

mechanical
and very ancient technology.

However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document

directly
from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or from the

floppy.

The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something

designed for the 21st Century.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I

knew
: was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a

different
: computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
: computer that won't let me save to removable disk?
:
: sf
: ``````````````

sf

Sorry if this is a duplicate... not sure if my first send post was
sent. That's what happens when posting from an internet interface.

sigh

Terry - this isn't the time for sarcasm. I'm a teacher and those
computers were donated years ago and the floppy drive isn't external -
do there is no option to use something else more up to date. I am too
conservative to consider that an EXTERNAL CD-RW is the answer to my
problem.

YES - floppies are ancient technology, as are the computers I'm having
trouble with... does this mean you're going to donate some modern
technology to my classroom so you won't need to scoff at my
situation?????

I tried to reformat the floppy on the computer that didn't like it and
it gave me a message as the floppy was a damaged. The other two
computers didn't reject it, but when I transfered the floppy to my "new
technology" computer that usually reads such old technology, the floppy
didn't have any information on it. Maybe the floppy was flawed, but it
was straight out of the same box that has produced other floppies that
worked on those computers - so maybe it's a factory problem, in that
case. I was hoping for a little more insight... does this mean you
think 3 computers are suddenly out of alignment or the computer reading
it is out of alignment?

I'm unclear about reading directly from a floppy drive. Can you
understand that in the entire time I've used floppies I've done that
without any problem EVER? I know what you mean by direct write, but
I'm unclear what you mean by direct read. I've never heard of saving a
file to HD before reading, but my problem was that the files didn't
appear on the floppy in the first place - so that wasn't an option.

Glad you brought up ancient technology though. My old/home win98
finally died this week (haven't given the HD a good, christian burial
though, because I need to recover data). Soooo looking at new comptuer
options - I see that an internal floppy isn't an option in many cases.
I have lots of floppies that I need to read and I want an internal
floppy drive, but it isn't available with a lot of the Dell options.
:\

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My BIG question is about the other drive/s. I'm thinking the
DVD-RW/DVD option with appropriate software is the option I should
choose (otherwise it wouldn't be an option), but I need to know the
situations I would need it for.

Are you up to helping me with things like selecting dual/single channel
SDRAM?

I'm thinking of selecting (OS) XP-Pro, because it would be convienent
to be able to access my work computer from home and vice versa... but I
only want "Home Office" because I need Power Point, but don't need
anything fancier than Word and Excel beyond that.

Any feedback?

Thanks
sf
````````

TF wrote:
If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you

tried
it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full format of

the
floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked. Floppies are

mechanical
and very ancient technology.

However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document

directly
from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or from the

floppy.

The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something

designed for the 21st Century.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I

knew
: was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a

different
: computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
: computer that won't let me save to removable disk?
:
: sf
: ``````````````

Daiya Mitchell

On 3/8/05 10:23 PM, "sf" wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate... not sure if my first send post was
sent. That's what happens when posting from an internet interface.

It is a duplicate. You are aware that you can access these groups via a
newsreader, right?
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

Graham Mayor

The answer to the problem is to never ever read from, write to or print from
floppy with Word. This is the most certain method of ensuring document
corruption. Copy to the hard disc and work on the document from there, then
copy back to the floppy.

TF wrote:
If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you
tried it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full
format of the floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked.
Floppies are mechanical and very ancient technology.

However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document
directly from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or
from the floppy.

The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something

designed for the 21st Century.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I
knew was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a
different computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong
with the computer that won't let me save to removable disk?

sf
``````````````

TF

From your description, the floppy itself must be badly manufactured.

However, I repeat my advice, never open directly from or save directly to a
floppy. When Word opens or saves a file, it creates temporary files in the
active folder (the floppy in this instance) that it uses for building up the
file structure and for creating a windows locking file to stop other users
opening the file whilst you have it open.

If you have always done this and got away with this, you are in a vast
minority.

Terry

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
::\
:
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:
: My BIG question is about the other drive/s. I'm thinking the
: DVD-RW/DVD option with appropriate software is the option I should
: choose (otherwise it wouldn't be an option), but I need to know the
: situations I would need it for.
:
: Are you up to helping me with things like selecting dual/single channel
: SDRAM?
:
: I'm thinking of selecting (OS) XP-Pro, because it would be convienent
: to be able to access my work computer from home and vice versa... but I
: only want "Home Office" because I need Power Point, but don't need
: anything fancier than Word and Excel beyond that.
:
: Any feedback?
:
: Thanks
: sf
: ````````
:
:
: TF wrote:
: If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you
: tried
: it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full format of
: the
: floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked. Floppies are
: mechanical
: and very ancient technology.
:
: However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document
: directly
: from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or from the
: floppy.
:
: The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something
:
: designed for the 21st Century.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "sf" wrote in message
: oups.com...
: : I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I
: knew
: : was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a
: different
: : computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
: : computer that won't let me save to removable disk?
: :
: : sf
: : ``````````````
:
:

Charles Kenyon

It doesn't matter whether you have the option of using something else. When
within Word, you _must_ act as if the floppy drive does not exist.
Otherwise, you are throwing away your work! You can save to the hard disk,
even if to a temporary folder that gets emptied everytime the computer is
restarted. Then, from outside Word, copy between the hard drive and the
floppy drive. If you use Word with files on a floppy drive you will lose the
files (and perhaps everything on the floppy).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
oups.com...

TF wrote:
If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive you

tried
it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full format of

the
floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked. Floppies are

mechanical
and very ancient technology.

However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document

directly
from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or from the

floppy.

The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use something

designed for the 21st Century.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that I

knew
: was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a

different
: computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong with the
: computer that won't let me save to removable disk?
:
: sf
: ``````````````

Charles Kenyon

If the disk cannot, indeed, be read from Windows, this is a problem. The
problem reading the disk may or may not be just from within Word. The OP
indicates that another computer can read it. The problem begins, though,
with using Word with anything on removable media.
--

wrote:

You should not open a Word document directly from removable media
(floppy disk, CD, etc.). Doing so will likely corrupt the Word file or
the media itself. Instead, you should copy the Word file to your hard
drive, edit the file there, and then copy the modified file back to the
removable media.

Which brings you back to the OP's problem: if he/she cannot access the
disk, it is impossible to "copy the Word file to your hard drive, edit
the file there, and then copy the modified file back to the removable
media."

Blessed be, for sure...

sf

Sorry about those empty posts. Don't know how they happened - Google
"groups" is a dark and mysterious process. I'm posting from Google
because my home computer died and I haven't decided on the options I
want for my new one.

If anyone is in the mood to b helpful, I need advice about basic things
like dual channel SDRAM.
:/
I know what SDRAM is but why would "dual channel" be something I might
need/want?

TIA
sf

TF

Simple answer: because it doubles your memory speed.

Explanation: memory chips are pretty much limited to running at 200MHz. By
some clever architecture changes made my the RAM manufacturers, it is
possible to both write and read in the same clock cycle, so the memory
modules effectively run at 400MHz. This is still half the speed of the
processor bus (800MHz) and is a bottleneck to processor performance. So by
changing the method of addressing the memory, it is possible to run two
memory modules on a single 800MHz bus, alternately addresses each module per
clock cycle - Dual Channel!

What's it worth in raw performance: 12% for very little additional
investment (if you want dual channel 512MB memory, you have to have 2 x
256MB modules which are just a little more expensive that a single 512MB
module). The processor also costs a little more but also get hyperthreading
enabled on the processor which is worth up to 8% depending on what you are
running.

You may not think that you need all that extra power, but think two or three
years ahead and you may find that the extra 12% wards off yet another
replacement PC for an extra year.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Sorry about those empty posts. Don't know how they happened - Google
: "groups" is a dark and mysterious process. I'm posting from Google
: because my home computer died and I haven't decided on the options I
: want for my new one.
:
: If anyone is in the mood to b helpful, I need advice about basic things
: like dual channel SDRAM.
: :/
: I know what SDRAM is but why would "dual channel" be something I might
: need/want?
:
: TIA
: sf
:

sf

Thanks, give me the entire name and I'll go there.

```````````````

Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
sf shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Sorry about those empty posts. Don't know how they happened -

Google
"groups" is a dark and mysterious process. I'm posting from Google
because my home computer died and I haven't decided on the options

want for my new one.

If anyone is in the mood to b helpful, I need advice about basic
things like dual channel SDRAM.
:/
I know what SDRAM is but why would "dual channel" be something I

might
need/want?

TIA
sf

wrong group, try a comp.hardware.* group

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.2.7
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

sf

TF wrote:
From your description, the floppy itself must be badly manufactured.

However, I repeat my advice, never open directly from or save

directly to a
floppy. When Word opens or saves a file, it creates temporary files

in the
active folder (the floppy in this instance) that it uses for building

up the
file structure and for creating a windows locking file to stop other

users
opening the file whilst you have it open.

If you have always done this and got away with this, you are in a

vast
minority.

Terry

I did it before I was told otherwise a few years ago and never had a
problem. So, yes I am part of that minority. LOL. I also have saved
directly to floppy - keeping a copy on the HD afterward. Never had a
problem up to this, but I'm inlined to blame the floppy since it
happened with 3 different computers. Oh, well. It's over now. Thanks
for reminding me of the proper protocol to save.

Now I need to find a ardware group so I can as about dual channel SDRAM
and I guess I need to figure out how to find a microsoft xp group from
google (not easy) to ask about which OS and Office version to order on
a new computer.

sf

Thanks for the heads up.... I haven't blundered into that answer yet.
TIA, Terry!

Not having my usual interface has really put me into a tailspin and I'm
not seeing what I'm used to finding easily. :/

sf
``````````

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Terry has already provided an answer about dual-channel SDRAM.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Now I need to find a ardware group so I can as about dual channel

SDRAM
and I guess I need to figure out how to find a microsoft xp group

from
google (not easy) to ask about which OS and Office version to order

on
a new computer.

sf

Many thanks Terry! Dual channel is a no brainer, in that case....
especially considering that a 2 or 3 year old computer is considered
brand new in my household. We keep them 5-7 years, until they die or
the OS is a complete dinosaur - whatever comes first.

Now I have to find out if I will be able to use the remote access part
of XP pro to access my work computer from home. If I can, it's worth
the $$$. If I can't, I'll stick with the XP Home version.... unless
there's another compelling reason to go with Pro.

``````````````````````````
TF wrote:
[...]

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Sorry about those empty posts. Don't know how they happened -

Google
: "groups" is a dark and mysterious process. I'm posting from Google
: because my home computer died and I haven't decided on the options

: want for my new one.
:
: If anyone is in the mood to b helpful, I need advice about basic

things
: like dual channel SDRAM.
: :/
: I know what SDRAM is but why would "dual channel" be something I

might
: need/want?
:
: TIA
: sf
:

TF

Windows XPP has a service for securely connecting across the Internet to an
Office Network called VPN (Virtual Private Networking). I don't believe that
you can do that with WinXP Home edition (though I may be wrong). Also, if
you get XPH, you won't be able to log in to a work Domain. There are
workarounds for this, but it means you have to leave a security hole in your
Work domain. Unless your work network is also a dinosaur, I would recommend
XPP.

Terry

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Many thanks Terry! Dual channel is a no brainer, in that case....
: especially considering that a 2 or 3 year old computer is considered
: brand new in my household. We keep them 5-7 years, until they die or
: the OS is a complete dinosaur - whatever comes first.
:
: Now I have to find out if I will be able to use the remote access part
: of XP pro to access my work computer from home. If I can, it's worth
: the $$$. If I can't, I'll stick with the XP Home version.... unless
: there's another compelling reason to go with Pro.
:
: ``````````````````````````
: TF wrote:
[...]
: "sf" wrote in message
: oups.com...
: : Sorry about those empty posts. Don't know how they happened -
: Google
: : "groups" is a dark and mysterious process. I'm posting from Google
: : because my home computer died and I haven't decided on the options
: I
: : want for my new one.
: :
: : If anyone is in the mood to b helpful, I need advice about basic
: things
: : like dual channel SDRAM.
: : :/
: : I know what SDRAM is but why would "dual channel" be something I
: might
: : need/want?
: :
: : TIA
: : sf
: :
:

sf

Thanks again, Terry!

TF wrote:
Windows XPP has a service for securely connecting across the Internet

to an
Office Network called VPN (Virtual Private Networking). I don't

believe that
you can do that with WinXP Home edition (though I may be wrong).

Just curious - VPN isn't an free app. anymore? I downloaded it a
couple of years ago when my mother got her first home computer - in
case she had a problem. Fortunately for me (because VPN used
terminology that was completely out of my range of knowledge), I never
needed to use it. Mom turned out to be a visual learner, so I can send
her screen shots plus instructions about what to do and she's ok with
that.

Also, if
you get XPH, you won't be able to log in to a work Domain. There are
workarounds for this, but it means you have to leave a security hole

in your
Work domain.

I tried to access the Help Desk today, but they were on voice mail and
I didn't leave a message because my experience is that they call back
when it's the least convenient for me. I'll try again tomorrow - I've
got to make a computer order ASAP and I need answers.

Unless your work network is also a dinosaur,

Well, I can't guarantee it's not a dinosaur. No kidding, the last time
I checked - it still was. They've done some things lately that are
making more work for the average worker - so I guess it's called making
"progress" at this stage.

I would recommend XPP.

At this point, cost isn't a hindrance ($79). OTOH, Home Office (way
over $200) makes me ask myself if I "really" need it... but I want
Power Point(!), in spite of the limited number of times I've used it to
compose a presentation.

sf

Ummm... before I say "goodbye" - would you please share your knowledge
of processors? My only option is P4 - but I have to figure out if I
want anything from 2.80 GHz, 800FSB (whatever fsb means) to 340GHz with
800FSB. The difference seems so minor (to me) that unless I was a
gaming fanatic or power user such as an architect or engineer - it
wouldn't make a difference I'd notice as a home/office user. Am I
correct?

TIA

TF

:
: Ummm... before I say "goodbye" - would you please share your knowledge
: of processors? My only option is P4 - but I have to figure out if I
: want anything from 2.80 GHz, 800FSB (whatever fsb means) to 340GHz with
: 800FSB. The difference seems so minor (to me) that unless I was a
: gaming fanatic or power user such as an architect or engineer - it
: wouldn't make a difference I'd notice as a home/office user. Am I
: correct?
:
: TIA
:
The 3.4GHz has a few other improvements such as a larger L2 cache and some
new processes, but for Office work, the 2.8GHz should be fine.

Terry