Lisa

Default Why do my macros disappear?

Whenever I create macros they last for a while and then they stop working. I
get a message that says: "The macro can not be found or has been disabled
becuase of your macro security settings". I don't do anything with my
security settings so if the macro works once, it should work again.

Also I get messages that say: "The file Normal.dot already exists. Do you
want to replace the existing file?" I don't know what this means but I
always click yes.

Another message I get is this: "Word automatically saved changes to the
normal document template. Do you want to load it?" Again I say yes, but
then sometime later I will lose my macros. Are these messages significant to
macros? Should I be answering no to these questions? I am tired of having
to re-create my macros all the time. I don't know why they stop working.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Lisa Cardoza
Graham Mayor

For some reason, Word is replacing your normal.dot with a new one.

Start by checking out http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Start Word and check tools options save prompt to save normal.dot and
tools options save always create backup copy.

Close Word - if you get a prompt to save normal.dot - do so.

Open Word. Close it again. It should close without a prompt.

If it doesn't, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Open Word and recreate any missing macros. You can save normal.dot from the
vba editor.

In future, the answer to both those particular questions should probably be
NO, and are prompted by crash conditions, so start by clearing out temporary
files and save normal.dot (rather than replace it)

If you make changes during your work that are reflected as changes to
normal.dot (such as creating macros/autotexts/toolbars etc), there will be a
different prompt which says that changes have been made to normal.dot. You
can choose to save these changes or not depending on whether you want to
keep them for the next session.

Lisa wrote:
Whenever I create macros they last for a while and then they stop
working. I get a message that says: "The macro can not be found or
has been disabled because of your macro security settings". I don't
do anything with my security settings so if the macro works once, it
should work again.

Also I get messages that say: "The file Normal.dot already exists.
Do you want to replace the existing file?" I don't know what this
means but I always click yes.

Another message I get is this: "Word automatically saved changes to
the normal document template. Do you want to load it?" Again I say
yes, but then sometime later I will lose my macros. Are these
messages significant to macros? Should I be answering no to these
questions? I am tired of having to re-create my macros all the time.
I don't know why they stop working. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Lisa Cardoza

gschnuck1 gschnuck1 is offline
Junior Member

I also lose my macros every so often. so much so that I started keeping track of when it happens. since 11-19-12 they lasted until 07-04-13, then lost 3 months later, then a month after that. I now keep a copy and paste document in a word file as backups so that I can easily make my macros again.
I also get a "ghost" screen when pulling up documents every once in a while, especially when pullup up multiple documents. I have to right click on the "ghost" screen, close it, then re-open it to view it.
word 2013 is the worst upgrade I have ever seen on word. I've had it for about 1.5 years now and still not used to where they put everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post