Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Default manage sources

Please help!

I am in the process of writing my masters' thesis, and have fallin in love
with the "manage sources" feature in word 2007. However, I am writing a
scientific thesis and need to cite within the text numerically (similar to
the endnote function) so that my works cited page is in order as they occur
within the text. When I try to use the "insert citation" option, I find that
it does not update in the word document, meaning if I insert a citation
before a previously inserted citation, it does not change the numbering like
it would as an endnote. Is there a way that I can use this awesome function?
As of right now I am using endnote which means I have to type out each
reference that I use, not to mention that I have to make sure that I have
cited each reference properly.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I haven't used Word 2007 at all, so this is a wild guess, but see if F9
to update fields updates the citations. That's how cross-references
work, it may be similar. I think you will need to select the citation first.

By the way--the citation feature is not really aimed at people writing
master's theses, phd dissertations, or academic books, but rather high
school and college students. It may not be sophisticated enough for your
needs. Professional users often use a more powerful third-party program
such as EndNote, RefMan, ProCite.

Katie wrote:
Please help!

I am in the process of writing my masters' thesis, and have fallin in love
with the "manage sources" feature in word 2007. However, I am writing a
scientific thesis and need to cite within the text numerically (similar to
the endnote function) so that my works cited page is in order as they occur
within the text. When I try to use the "insert citation" option, I find that
it does not update in the word document, meaning if I insert a citation
before a previously inserted citation, it does not change the numbering like
it would as an endnote. Is there a way that I can use this awesome function?
As of right now I am using endnote which means I have to type out each
reference that I use, not to mention that I have to make sure that I have
cited each reference properly.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Thanks for the response. I tried using F9 to update, unfortunately it did
not work.

Thanks for your response!
-Katie