Hyjanks

Default How do I stop overtype mode in Word 2003?

I have been using Word versions since the days of Microsoft 3.1. The one
thing that has been consistant in all of these versions--right up to the 2003
version I am using now--is the annoying habit of the program to institue the
Overtype mode whenever it feels like it. I have repeatedly gone into the Edit
function of Options to uncheck the Overtype box, but it has never done any
good--I'll be typing away and suddenly from out of nowhere Overtype rears its
ugly head when what I really want to do is add to or delete the text I am
typing. I have hit no hot keys to invite this nuisance.
Can anyone tell me how to permanently disable this obnoxious function? I'd
be willing to go into the Registry and make some modifications, if that's
what it takes.
garfield-n-odie

To disable the Insert key in Word, click on Tools | Customize | Keyboard
| Categories: All Commands | Commands: Overtype | Current keys: Insert |
Remove. If you are prompted to save Normal.dot when you exit Word, say
yes. You can still turn on overtype mode when needed by double-clicking
on the OVR indicator on the Status Bar at the bottom of your Word
window.

Hyjanks wrote:

I have been using Word versions since the days of Microsoft 3.1. The one
thing that has been consistant in all of these versions--right up to the 2003
version I am using now--is the annoying habit of the program to institue the
Overtype mode whenever it feels like it. I have repeatedly gone into the Edit
function of Options to uncheck the Overtype box, but it has never done any
good--I'll be typing away and suddenly from out of nowhere Overtype rears its
ugly head when what I really want to do is add to or delete the text I am
typing. I have hit no hot keys to invite this nuisance.
Can anyone tell me how to permanently disable this obnoxious function? I'd
be willing to go into the Registry and make some modifications, if that's
what it takes.

CyberTaz

No offense, but in all probability you are accidentally hitting the [Insert]
key which is triggering Overtype mode. Press [Insert] again to turn Insert
Mode off.

To prevent the problem, you can go to ToolsOptionsEdit and put a check in
the box to Use the INS key to Paste. The trade off, of course, is that
hitting the key accidentally will then paste in anything on the clipboard at
the time.

Good Luck |:)

"Hyjanks" wrote:

I have been using Word versions since the days of Microsoft 3.1. The one
thing that has been consistant in all of these versions--right up to the 2003
version I am using now--is the annoying habit of the program to institue the
Overtype mode whenever it feels like it. I have repeatedly gone into the Edit
function of Options to uncheck the Overtype box, but it has never done any
good--I'll be typing away and suddenly from out of nowhere Overtype rears its
ugly head when what I really want to do is add to or delete the text I am
typing. I have hit no hot keys to invite this nuisance.
Can anyone tell me how to permanently disable this obnoxious function? I'd
be willing to go into the Registry and make some modifications, if that's
what it takes.

The usual reason for Word going into Overtype mode is that you have
inadvertently pressed the Insert key (usually when aiming for Backspace,
Delete, or Home). You can reassign the Insert key to another use or just
remove its current assignment to Overtype. Open Tools | Customize, click
Keyboard..., select All Commands, scroll down to Overtype, select Insert,
and click Remove.

"Hyjanks" wrote in message
[...]

Hyjanks

I guess you misunderstood my question. I WANT to insert words. I do not
want to overtype--ever. I know about the OVR indicator; I just don't think
that every version of Word should force overtype on me. I type at around 75
words/minute and when that overtype mode kicks in--well, it's just a real
bummer to be hitting that OVR button all the time.
Do you understand what I am saying?

Hyjanks wrote:

I have been using Word versions since the days of Microsoft 3.1. The one
thing that has been consistant in all of these versions--right up to the 2003
version I am using now--is the annoying habit of the program to institue the
Overtype mode whenever it feels like it. I have repeatedly gone into the Edit
function of Options to uncheck the Overtype box, but it has never done any
good--I'll be typing away and suddenly from out of nowhere Overtype rears its
ugly head when what I really want to do is add to or delete the text I am
typing. I have hit no hot keys to invite this nuisance.
Can anyone tell me how to permanently disable this obnoxious function? I'd
be willing to go into the Registry and make some modifications, if that's
what it takes.

Hyjanks

Thanks. I'll try that.
garfield-n-odie

I guess you misunderstood my answer. I told you how to disable the
Insert key from toggling between insert and overtype modes. If you
click on what I suggested, then when you accidentally press the Insert
key in Word at 75 words/minute, it won't turn on overtype mode
(actually, the Insert key won't do anything in Word). Do you understand
what I am saying?

Hyjanks wrote:

I have been using Word versions since the days of Microsoft 3.1. The one
thing that has been consistant in all of these versions--right up to the 2003
version I am using now--is the annoying habit of the program to institue the
Overtype mode whenever it feels like it. I have repeatedly gone into the Edit
function of Options to uncheck the Overtype box, but it has never done any
good--I'll be typing away and suddenly from out of nowhere Overtype rears its
ugly head when what I really want to do is add to or delete the text I am
typing. I have hit no hot keys to invite this nuisance.
Can anyone tell me how to permanently disable this obnoxious function? I'd
be willing to go into the Registry and make some modifications, if that's
what it takes.

Yes, garfield-n-odie understood exactly what you were saying. Most of his
post was telling you how to disable the Insert key so that it doesn't throw
you into Overtype mode. He added the last sentence to reassure you that it
is still possible to switch into Overtype mode if it should ever become
necessary (you can also do it by checking the appropriate box on the Edit
tab of Tools | Options) since obviously the Insert key will no longer do it
after you have modified it as directed.