Joe McGuire

Default Bookmarks/Favorites in Word 2003

This has to be a dumb question. I was quite dependent on Word 2000's
bookmarks (actually "favorites") but recently went to Office 2003. Now that
I want to set up bookmarks I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Have
they been renamed? I could find nothing in Help, which is not much of a
surprise.

Anne Troy

What bookmarks do you want, Joe? Word bookmarks (under Insert--Bookmark)?
Or do you want Internet Explorer's Bookmarks (Favorites; which I've never
heard were a "part" of Word, but it might certainly be possible to add it to
your toolbar)?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This has to be a dumb question. I was quite dependent on Word 2000's
bookmarks (actually "favorites") but recently went to Office 2003. Now
that I want to set up bookmarks I can't seem to figure out how to do it.
Have they been renamed? I could find nothing in Help, which is not much
of a surprise.

Joe McGuire

thanks. Let me clarify. I also use Word 2002 which seems quite similar to
Word 2000. In Word 2002 I can highlight a file or folder, click on Tools
and Add to Favorites. The folder or file is then added to the list of
favorites, which is usually stored at c:\Documents &
Settings\username\Favorites where "username" refers to me or any other user.
Thereafter, if I click on File, Open in Word 2002, the Open window displays
all the folders and files in the particuklar folder Word is set to open. On
the left side of the window is a bar with maybe 4 icons. One of them is
"Favorites" Click on that and Word switches the folder set to open to the
Favorites folder. I will see the file or folder I just added among the
favorites. This is a very convenient way to avoid the tedious chore of
navigating through a huge collection of files and folders, such as on a
corporate network (My secretary can't understand this and I cringe as I see
her wade through oceans of stuff to find the file she wants to open). This
is the same folder where Internet Explorer Favorites are stored. I suspect
whoever set this up at Microsoft had in mind a grand convergence of the
internet and Word Processing; I havealways thought this was pretty dumb.

On my XP Pro computer with Office 2003 that Favorites folder is very much
present, and I can certainly add URLs to it in IE. But in Word 2003, if I
click File, Open, and highlight any folder and then click Tools, there is no
option to Add to Favorites. There is an option called "Add to My Places"
but I have no clue what this means. Is Word 2003 going to put me in My
Place after all these years? I tried the "Add to My Places" option with a
particular folder but I can't figure out what difference it made. It was
not added to the favorites folder.

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What bookmarks do you want, Joe? Word bookmarks (under Insert--Bookmark)?
Or do you want Internet Explorer's Bookmarks (Favorites; which I've never
heard were a "part" of Word, but it might certainly be possible to add it
to your toolbar)?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This has to be a dumb question. I was quite dependent on Word 2000's
bookmarks (actually "favorites") but recently went to Office 2003. Now
that I want to set up bookmarks I can't seem to figure out how to do it.
Have they been renamed? I could find nothing in Help, which is not much
of a surprise.

Anne Troy

Doh! My bad, Joe. Of course... I just never use the "My Places" bar for
anything but Desktop. My apologies.
It looks like it sure DOES add it to the My Places bar, but it's so far
down, you gotta scroll. Do ya see the little black arrow to scroll down?
Instead, you could right-click the folder and create a shortcut to that
folder, then put that shortcut in My Documents or on your Desktop or some
other place that's on the part of the My Places bar that you CAN see without
scrolling. Stupid, right? I've got My Network on there and I'll be darned if
I ever use it.
************

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What bookmarks do you want, Joe? Word bookmarks (under
Insert--Bookmark)? Or do you want Internet Explorer's Bookmarks
(Favorites; which I've never heard were a "part" of Word, but it might
certainly be possible to add it to your toolbar)?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This has to be a dumb question. I was quite dependent on Word 2000's
bookmarks (actually "favorites") but recently went to Office 2003. Now
that I want to set up bookmarks I can't seem to figure out how to do it.
Have they been renamed? I could find nothing in Help, which is not much
of a surprise.

Joe McGuire

The "c" in Microsoft stands for confuse 'em, right? If it ain't broke, why
not fix it, eh? If you have something simple that works great why not make
it complicated? And see if long-time Word users will figure it out on their
own? I marked a folder last night using Add to My Places. It was not in
the favorites folder but I will scroll around for a while tonight when I get
back to my home office with Word 2003.

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
What bookmarks do you want, Joe? Word bookmarks (under
Insert--Bookmark)? Or do you want Internet Explorer's Bookmarks
(Favorites; which I've never heard were a "part" of Word, but it might
certainly be possible to add it to your toolbar)?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This has to be a dumb question. I was quite dependent on Word 2000's
bookmarks (actually "favorites") but recently went to Office 2003.

Now
that I want to set up bookmarks I can't seem to figure out how to do

it.
Have they been renamed? I could find nothing in Help, which is not

much
of a surprise.

Joe McGuire

Thanks! After reading Graham's paper I am starting to recognize the hand of
Kafka in Office 2003. Blissfully unaware of these inane complexities I have
probably been using 2-3 dozen "favorites" for Word documents and folders
scattered over our network for years, starting with Word 95, 97, 2000 and
2002. Why this handy feature was axed for Word/Office 2003 although it
lingers on in IE beats me. Microsoft already sent me a copy of Office XP
Pro due to some incompatibility between OL2003 and OL2000 and 2002 but
inertia and fear of the unknown has kept me from installing it, although I
probably could resurrect my Office 2000 Pro with its hoary collection of
patches and upgrades. Do you know if Word favorites was also axed from XP?
If not then I think I will give Office 2003 the boot at my home office.

(Meanwhile I will have to make sure our firm does not unwittingly start
installing Office 2003 on any machines)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://www.gmayor.com/customize_the_word_places_bar.htm. The Word 2003
Places Bar does not include the Favorites folder, but you can add it.
There
is no longer, however, an Add to Favorites button in Word's file
operations
dialogs.

so
all may benefit.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This has to be a dumb question. I was quite dependent on Word 2000's
bookmarks (actually "favorites") but recently went to Office 2003. Now

that
I want to set up bookmarks I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Have
they been renamed? I could find nothing in Help, which is not much of a
surprise.

Graham Mayor

If your folders are already set up as 'favorites' then they will remain so
for the current version of Word. Add the favorites folder to the places bar.
It isn't rocket science

Joe McGuire wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This has to be a dumb question. I was quite dependent on Word
2000's bookmarks (actually "favorites") but recently went to Office
2003. Now that I want to set up bookmarks I can't seem to figure
out how to do it. Have they been renamed? I could find nothing in
Help, which is not much of a surprise.

Joe McGuire

Thanks. Of course, adding Favorites to "Places" so easy even I can do it.
Unfortunately, pretty much all the Word folders and files were created on my
old machine in Word 2000 (along with a pile of "favorites"), backed them up
to an external hard drive and then brought them into my new XP laptop. I
have only a few IE Favorites (I don't use IE for internet navigation unless
required)--if I recall I copied that folder from the old machine; I
certainly did that with Netscape. Apparently there is no way to make new
Word favorites, just "Places."

Joe McGuire wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

If you copy the favorites folder from your old machine to the new one, your
favorites will be restored. All applications share the same favorites
folder. The system is no different, merely that favorites is not accessible
by default from Word 2003 - unless you add it!

Joe McGuire wrote:
[...]

Joe McGuire

I missed that chance. However, the "Places" thing will probably do a fair
job--I did not have that many Word favorites on my home office machine
anyway. My networked machine at my main office, however, is a different
story--I seem to be safe there, at least for now, with Word 2002. Now to
make sure some IT dweeb doesn't do me a favor and upgrade me!