dwalsh77

Default Numbered and bulleted list are not aligning properly

I am in MS word and I start a numbered or bulleted list which is fine (i.e.
Grocery List). But after I put in the first item (i.e. 1. Eggs), then press
enter to go to number 2, the list automatically goes back to the left side of
the page. The list number is correct(i.e. 2. Butter), but the number 2 is not
aligned propely with the number 1 above it. It seems the first item number is
indented, but he next number always goes back to the left and the only way to
correct this is to go Format, Bullets and Numbering , then choose the
numbered list, Customize, OK, and only then will the number 2 align propely
with number 1.
The same thing happens with the second bullet in a bulleted list.

Any ideas?

Thanks.