danalynn

Default how do i insert a water mark on certain pages?

I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark without it
going on all the pages?
Pat Garard

G'Day Danalynn,

Be aware that a watermark object (picture or text) is
anchored in the Header area.

A general answer would be:

1. Make sure that you use section breaks to separate
the sets of pages that require differing Watermarks
(including sections with NO watermark).

2. Insert the Watermark you would like for any section
- initially it will be the same throughout the document.

3. Double-click, and modify, the Headers so that each
section does NOT have 'Same as previous'.

4. Move to the (in your case) first section, double-click its
Header - you will now be able to 'select' the watermark
with a single (Left-)click.

5. Delete the Watermark (OR Right-click, choose 'Edit ...'
and modify the Watermark for that section).

6. Repeat for the other sections until you have whatever
Watermark you want (including NO Watermark) in each
section.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
daidai daidai is offline

thank you so much to share your skill about how to set different watermark.
I really enjoy to do it.
have a good day
daidai

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ted Ted is offline

Hey Pat:

I have a similar situation, only my page is an 8.5x11 in landscape and is
divided in two (to make a bulletin that folds over the middle). When I follow
your above procedure it no longer prints both sections on the same 8.5x11
page so I have the front and back on one page. I have it setup with the back
pape first (on the divided page) and the the front so when I fold the page
the fold will be to the left. I only want the watermark on the Front (which
is the right side of the divided page). This seems so much more difficult
than it was in WordPerfect, especially when you want to print things like a
book. Can you help me?

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RN RN is offline

This only works for custom picture watermarks and not custom text
watermarks!!!
Who did the unit testing here?

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RN RN is offline

I am sorry Terry. I thought I was clear. This procedure only works in
Word 2007 if the watermark is a picture water mark and not a text water mark.
(At least custom versions, I did not try standard watermarks). If you use
a text water mark it appears in all sections. I could not get it to stay in
just one section. As for custom picture watermarks. It seems problematic
as well if I choose anything but auto it scales offcenter (left and top) no
matter the size. Centering is not an option offered.

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be
on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark
without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Have you tried this on a new, fresh document? This definitely does work: I
cannot replicate the problem you are having which suggests to me that the
document may be partially corrupt.

Take a copy of the document and use SaveAs and choose the xml option. That
may well get rid of the corruption and get the H&Fs working correctly.

Terry

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to
be
on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark
without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RN RN is offline

Yes Terry, I should have said this is a large existing document (300 pages)
done in Word 2003. I am still saving in this format so I can distribute it.
Changing to docx and back is problematic. This document has lots of
figures and graphics. My audience do not have Word 2007. Yes I know they
can get a viewer but I don't consider that a useable option. I did notice
that in Word 2003 that my daughter created at home that WOrd 2003 will allow
one to paste in xml and that can be very difficult to locate and fix
formatting of. I see uneven spaces between paragraphs with no way to make
them uniform. So your concern is that there may be some hidden XML?

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to
be
on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark
without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

No. The purpose of saving as XML and reverting back by Save as .doc, is that
it usually removes minor hidden corruptions in from the doc structure. In
this case, I believe that the H&F layout is corrupted: with XML. H&Fs are
stored in separate files which are then zipped up together to form a single
file. I am not suggesting that you keep the document in xml format to pass
around.

Don't forget, that all of the Office users prior to Office 2007 can download
and install the free compatibility pack. Not only does this provide them
with Office 2007 compatibility, but also install all the new 'C' fonts that
come with Office 2007.

If you are seeing uneven spacing between paragraphs between Word 2007 and
Word 2003 (regardless of whether it is a doc or xml format), it suggests
that the interparagraph spacing has been done by inserting empty paragraphs
rather using Space After in the paragraph style.

Terry

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Have you tried this on a new, fresh document? This definitely does work:
cannot replicate the problem you are having which suggests to me that the
document may be partially corrupt.

Take a copy of the document and use SaveAs and choose the xml option.
That
may well get rid of the corruption and get the H&Fs working correctly.

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RN RN is offline

Thanks for the information. I have issues of messed up graphics if I move
to XML and back and I don't want to proofread the entire document (since it
has legal implications) to look for flaws in formating and references.
However I did try it to see if the watermarks would behave correctly. I got
my picture watermarks in the entire document. I deleted them and then
inserted the text watermark and the behavior was unchanged. Either
document size is the issue or we have different versions of Word 2007.

As for the separate issue of uneven spaced paragraphics when XML is imported
in
Word 2003. If there are blank paragraphs I don't know how to access them.
No paragraph markers show up.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Have you tried this on a new, fresh document? This definitely does work:
cannot replicate the problem you are having which suggests to me that the
document may be partially corrupt.

Take a copy of the document and use SaveAs and choose the xml option.
That
may well get rid of the corruption and get the H&Fs working correctly.

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RN RN is offline

Let me first say thanks for your efforts.
I work at a large company and only have access to network printers. Also, I
work in print layout mode most of the time.

Did you try custom watermarks? Or just standard. After I saved and
reopened the file the next day my custom picture watermark was in every
section. I saved a custom text to the watermark gallery, deleted from the
document and selected from the gallery and from that point it will work. I
don't have much good to say about the Microsoft help files in this area. I
stumbled around and finally figured out how to do it but not sure I can
repeat it reliably. Also you have not answered my questions about why any
scaling of a custom picture watermark other than auto results in a watermark
that is top, left oriented.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Well I can only think that perhaps I just don't have a sufficiently large
document to reproduce your bug.

But some things to check that may cause these sort of problems with large
documents:

Make sure that when all apps are close - preferably after a fresh reboot -
that your temp folder is completely empty.
Make sure that you have a compatible locally installed printer driver set as
the Windows default. As a quick test (presuming you have a full install of
Office), select the Microsoft Office XPS Document Writer as the Windows
Default. Then start Word and open the document. Check in Print Preview and
see if the problem is still there.

Terry

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Have you tried this on a new, fresh document? This definitely does
work:
cannot replicate the problem you are having which suggests to me that
the
document may be partially corrupt.

Take a copy of the document and use SaveAs and choose the xml option.
That
may well get rid of the corruption and get the H&Fs working correctly.

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I think that we all agree that the MS Help files are both hard to find and
frequently not that informative.

Graphic/picture watermarks are fine when resized or AUTO: I don't see any
problem. However, if your right-click on the inserted watermark, select
Format Picture and click on the Layout tab, you can change all the
alignment/positioning as you can with any picture inserted into a document.

I'm guessing that your Word Default is set to insert graphics In Line with
text which is why it inserts in line with the paragraph mark it is anchored
to in the Header. You can change the default if you want in Word Options,
but you can right-click and change on an indivual basis too whether it is a
WM or not.

Terry

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Have you tried this on a new, fresh document? This definitely does
work:
cannot replicate the problem you are having which suggests to me
that
the
document may be partially corrupt.

Take a copy of the document and use SaveAs and choose the xml
option.
That
may well get rid of the corruption and get the H&Fs working
correctly.

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
AndrewS AndrewS is offline

Sorry, as usual, the whole process is too complex so I just gave up.
Eventually I guess I'd like to know the answer. So...just how does one
change the headers to NOT be 'same as previous'? I can't find anything that
lets me do this. This also meant the remainder of the instructions were
useless, so I don't know if they worked or not. Sign...why am I writing
this. I doubt I'll ever get an answer

ANdrew

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You haven't told us what version of Word you have, which makes it much more
difficult to help you. If you have Word 2003 or earlier, then when you
access the header, the Header and Footer toolbar is displayed; on that
toolbar there is a Link to Previous (or Same as Previous) button, which you
turn off. In Word 2007, there is a similar button on the contextual Header &
Footer Tools Design tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be
on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark
without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Deedy Deedy is offline

I followed these instructions and they were extremely helpful but I have
gotten to a point in my document where my page switches to landscape. I have
different picture watermarks to insert. I have made sure that the "same as
previous" link is disabled...inserted section breaks. When I copy my
information into the new page, the previous page's watermark is still there.
--
Deedy

"danalynn" wrote in message
I have to insert a water mark into my document but I don't want it to be on
the first 2 pages, just the last 3. How do I insert a water mark without it
going on all the pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Now that you've unlinked the sections, you need to delete the watermark.
Open the header in the landscape section, select the watermark, and press
Delete.

http://word.mvps.org