Duke Carey

Default non printing mark

In a doc sent me by an outside party there's a mark I can't identify.

It appears in headings, using the built-in Heading 2 style, but modified.
The mark looks like (two greater than signs), only smaller and a single
character. It's followed by a paragraph mark. Also, it appears to be red.

When reveal codes is on, the heading appears to end after the paragraph
mark. However, when reveal codes is off, the text appears to continue on the
same line as the heading text. Also, in the TOC, only the heading text
before the mark is picked up.

It seems like a useful little trick, but how do you duplicate it?

What you're describing is a right guillemet (»), but it must indicate a
Style Separator. I didn't realize there was a nonprinting character for
that; we need to add that to the article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"Duke Carey" wrote in message
In a doc sent me by an outside party there's a mark I can't identify.

It appears in headings, using the built-in Heading 2 style, but modified.
The mark looks like (two greater than signs), only smaller and a single
character. It's followed by a paragraph mark. Also, it appears to be

red.

When reveal codes is on, the heading appears to end after the paragraph
mark. However, when reveal codes is off, the text appears to continue on

the
same line as the heading text. Also, in the TOC, only the heading text
before the mark is picked up.

It seems like a useful little trick, but how do you duplicate it?

My understanding was that a style separator was inserted automatically when
you "paint" a heading style onto just the first part of a paragraph, but
others have told me that the style separator must be explicitly inserted.* I
haven't tried either and don't know what to believe. But you can certainly
accomplish the same thing without a style separator (even in earlier
versions in which the ss is not available); see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/RunInSidehead.htm

For more on the use of style separators, see "How to create a table of
contents by marking text in Word 2002" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=285059

*Yet Word provides no easy way to do this: it's not on the Insert menu; you
have to drag it from Tools | Customize to a toolbar or menu.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What you're describing is a right guillemet (»), but it must indicate a
Style Separator. I didn't realize there was a nonprinting character for
that; we need to add that to the article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.