rdcrystal

Default Creating Extra Headings

Hi,

I have the following problem that took me hours yet unsolved. Please refer
to the following format:

Chapter 1
1.1 Sub-Heading title here
1.2 Sub-Heading title here
Chapter 2
2.1 Sub-Heading title here
2.2 Sub-heading title here
2.3 Sub-heading title here

The format above is fine, and word document handles it well. However, if I
were to squeeze in an automated headings for "Definitions" for example, with
the following format:

Chapter 1
1.1 Sub-Heading title here
Definition 1.1
Definition 1.2
1.2 Sub-Heading title here
Definition 1.3
Chapter 2
2.1 Sub-Heading title here
Definition 2.1
2.2 Sub-heading title here
Definition 2.2
Definition 2.3
2.3 Sub-heading title here
Definition 2.4

How do I create such "Definition" headings such that the first number tally
with the Chapter number, and the second number with the number of
definitions?
Please help! Thanks!

best regards,
Alex

Stefan Blom

Assuming that you are using the built-in heading styles for your
chapter numbering, you could define a caption: On the Insert menu,
click Reference, and then click Caption. Click New Label. Type
"Definition" and click OK. In the Caption dialog box, click the
Numbering button. Click "Include chapter number" and, at "Chapter
starts with style", select the Heading 1 style. Click OK. Now you are
ready to use your captions.

Note that captions won't update automatically, but you can press
CTRL+A and then F9 to update them and other fields manually.
Usually, switching to Print Preview and back also forces an update (it
definitely does if you check the option to "Update fields" on the
Print tab of ToolsOptions).

Alternatively, if you are using custom styles for headings, you can
edit the settings for the third numbering level so that it includes
the numbering of the first level (but not the second) and also
restarts based on the first level. For general information about how
to edit outline numbering, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom