Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cheshirecat cheshirecat is offline

Default More Mail Merge truncating

I've been reading the threads and trying the advice to no avail. When I merge
into Word 2003 from an Excel spreadsheet that's pulling data off a SQL
Server, two fields are truncated at 255, but a third is not. I've tried
padding the first row, but it doesn't work, nor does chosing the connection
method. Any ideas?

thanks,
Linda
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Have you confirmed that the data is complete in the Excel spreadsheet?
Maybe the truncation is between the SQL Server and Excel.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cheshirecat" wrote in message
news
I've been reading the threads and trying the advice to no avail. When I
merge
into Word 2003 from an Excel spreadsheet that's pulling data off a SQL
Server, two fields are truncated at 255, but a third is not. I've tried
padding the first row, but it doesn't work, nor does chosing the
connection
method. Any ideas?

thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cheshirecat cheshirecat is offline

where would I look? in Excel? In Word? In SQL? Does it matter how the field
types are defined in SQL? I've copied data from the incorrectly merging
fields into Word and Notepad to compare them against what's working and the
only noticible difference in the non-truncating fields is that they start and
end with angle brackets (because it's XML strings).

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Have you confirmed that the data is complete in the Excel spreadsheet?
Maybe the truncation is between the SQL Server and Excel.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cheshirecat" wrote in message
news I've been reading the threads and trying the advice to no avail. When I
merge
into Word 2003 from an Excel spreadsheet that's pulling data off a SQL
Server, two fields are truncated at 255, but a third is not. I've tried
padding the first row, but it doesn't work, nor does chosing the
connection
method. Any ideas?

thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The trouble with "the advice" is that none of the methods of connecting to
Excel data (or any other kind of data) can be guaranteed to do what you
need: each has its own limitations, and there are quite a few.

In this case, are you in a position to connect directly to the SQL Server?
If so, that still may not solve the problem, but it may well cut out the
"middle man".

Peter Jamieson
"cheshirecat" wrote in message
news
I've been reading the threads and trying the advice to no avail. When I
merge
into Word 2003 from an Excel spreadsheet that's pulling data off a SQL
Server, two fields are truncated at 255, but a third is not. I've tried
padding the first row, but it doesn't work, nor does chosing the
connection
method. Any ideas?

thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cheshirecat cheshirecat is offline

I didn't want to go that route since I don't know SQL, but found a colleague
who does and we think this will work just fine. Thanks to everyone!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. The answer that seemed to work for the original poster was
"connecting directly to SQL Server" - is that an option for you?

2. Can you be more precise about how you are padding the first row? IMO
a necessary condition for this to work would be that the cell in the
column where the data is truncated would need to contain a string which
was longer than 255 characters after trailing white space (and possibly
leading white space) is removed.. However, that may well not be a
sufficient condition.
Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk