Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathryn M Kathryn M is offline

Default Cross References and switches

I'm using Word 2003, SP 2, and I'm having problems with one X-reference. At
the beginning of each chapter, I insert a X-reference to each Header 2 in
that chapter. (The chapter name and number are Heading 1.)

The problem is that when I convert the doc to PDF using Adobe Acrobat (Ver 7
with latest update), this X-reference becomes an Error, no ref found" in both
the converted PDF and the original Word doc. When I look at the field codes
in the Word doc, I see that the ones that work look like this:
{REF_Ref145812777 \h \* MERGEFORMAT }, while the one that doesn't work does
not have the \*MERGEFORMAT } part.

I can't find anything about the \*MERGEFORMAT switch. Is this the problem?

Thanks
Kathryn M
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Kathryn,
Word's Help explains that \* MERGEFORMAT applies the formatting of the
previous result to the new result. Thus, if you apply some character
formatting (such as bold) to a cross reference, when Word updates the cross
reference the format (such as the bold) will still be applied. It has nothing
to do with the validity of the link.

Have you tried deleting the bad reference and inserting a new one? It sounds
like you might have changed the heading after you created the cross ref. to
it, and in doing so, deleted the bookmark (cross-ref's are tied to bookmark
codes made by Word).

One final note on MERGEFORMAT - I've found that if you insert a cross ref.
using Insert References Cross ref., then look at the resulting field
code, MERGEFORMAT is not included. If you apply some type of formatting to
the ref., however, MERGEFORMAT is added to the field code (automagically ;-).
If you insert a REF field instead of using cross ref's, the "Preserve
formatting during updates" option = MERGEFORMAT.
--
GMc
Phoenix

"Kathryn M" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003, SP 2, and I'm having problems with one X-reference. At
the beginning of each chapter, I insert a X-reference to each Header 2 in
that chapter. (The chapter name and number are Heading 1.)

The problem is that when I convert the doc to PDF using Adobe Acrobat (Ver 7
with latest update), this X-reference becomes an Error, no ref found" in both
the converted PDF and the original Word doc. When I look at the field codes
in the Word doc, I see that the ones that work look like this:
{REF_Ref145812777 \h \* MERGEFORMAT }, while the one that doesn't work does
not have the \*MERGEFORMAT } part.

I can't find anything about the \*MERGEFORMAT switch. Is this the problem?

Thanks
Kathryn M

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathryn M Kathryn M is offline

Thanks so much for explaining this to me. I believe I did make a change to
the style just as you said.

And I'm trying to learn as much as I can--so when you say cross-ref's are
tied to bookmark codes made by Word, what exactly does that mean? I don't use
bookmarks very often.
--
Kathryn M

"Kathryn M" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003, SP 2, and I'm having problems with one X-reference. At
the beginning of each chapter, I insert a X-reference to each Header 2 in
that chapter. (The chapter name and number are Heading 1.)

The problem is that when I convert the doc to PDF using Adobe Acrobat (Ver 7
with latest update), this X-reference becomes an Error, no ref found" in both
the converted PDF and the original Word doc. When I look at the field codes
in the Word doc, I see that the ones that work look like this:
{REF_Ref145812777 \h \* MERGEFORMAT }, while the one that doesn't work does
not have the \*MERGEFORMAT } part.

I can't find anything about the \*MERGEFORMAT switch. Is this the problem?

Thanks
Kathryn M

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Sorry for the late response. Even though you don't use bookmarks in your
doc., Word does -- for all its cross-ref's. Cross-ref's are a type of REF
field, and REF fields reference a bookmark that Word creates itself. These
are "hidden" bookmarks; you cannot see the bookmark codes in the body of your
document (that is, even when you have selected ToolsOptionsViewShow
Bookmarks).

You generally don't need to worry about the bookmarks Word adds, except in
terms of a) "blowing them away" if you edit a heading that has been
referenced (that = an "error cross ref. not found"), or b) inserting a new
para. or page break right in front of a heading that has been referenced
(that = the insertion being included w/ your cross ref. text).

Hope that this info helps.

--
GMc
Phoenix