Memz Memz is offline
Junior Member

Default [Word 2011] Saving as PDF changes formatting of some cross-references

Hi there,

I'm just about to send my PhD thesis to the printers and I have a problem that is driving me insane.

All of my cross-references to figures and tables are set to the Subtle Emphasis style (Bold):
e.g. Figure 1-1

All of my cross-references to headings are set to Bold + Italic:
e.g. section 1.3.2.1 - Heading title.

Yet if I update any field codes, or worse, save as PDF, most (but not all) of figure/table references revert back to Normal style, and even weirder, heading references revert to:
section 1.3.2.1 - Heading title.

I'm at the end of my tether. This is a 400-page document, it just took me an hour to go through and change them all back again!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Memz Memz is offline
Junior Member

Discovered a potential fix - remove all hyperlinks in the document.

In my experience Word 2011 has a silly bug that means hyperlinks aren't preserved when saving as PDF anyway.

Obviously won't be the answer for everyone, but since my thesis is destined for print only it works for me!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To ensure that a cross-reference (REF) field uses the formatting applied to
the actual field, add the \* CHARFORMAT switch to the field code.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP