Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ray ray is offline

Default LINK TABLE / FIGURE SEQ NUMBER WITH TEXT?

Hi all - is there away to insert the sequential number of tables and figures
within the text so that when I insert or delete tables or figures within the
text I don't have to manually change the table reference in hte text?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: LINK TABLE / FIGURE SEQ NUMBER WITH TEXT?

Yes, there is a way to insert the sequential number of tables and figures within the text in Microsoft Word. This is done by using captions and cross-references.

Here are the steps to do this:
  1. Insert your table or figure in the document.
  2. Click on the table or figure to select it.
  3. Go to the References tab in the ribbon.
  4. Click on the "Insert Caption" button in the Captions group.
  5. In the Caption dialog box, select the label for the table or figure (e.g. Table or Figure).
  6. Enter a brief description of the table or figure in the "Caption" field.
  7. Check the "Exclude label from caption" box if you don't want the label (e.g. Table or Figure) to appear in the caption.
  8. Click OK to insert the caption.

Now that you have inserted the caption, you can insert a cross-reference to it in the text. Here's how:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the cross-reference.
  2. Go to the References tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Cross-reference" button in the Captions group.
  4. In the Cross-reference dialog box, select "Figure" or "Table" in the "Reference type" drop-down list, depending on what you want to reference.
  5. Select "Numbered item" in the "Insert reference to" drop-down list.
  6. Select the table or figure you want to reference in the "For which caption" list.
  7. Click OK to insert the cross-reference.

Now, if you insert or delete tables or figures in the document, the cross-references will update automatically to reflect the new numbering. This saves you the trouble of manually changing the table reference in the text.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Angel Bivins Angel Bivins is offline

Sure Ray,
1. Use the Caption feature to insert your Table titles (Insert Caption, name
your table)
2.Then, in your text where you would normally type "see Table 1", instead
type : "see" and then use the Insert Cross-reference feature. Choose the
Reference type [Table] and then under "Insert Reference to" choose [only
label and number].
This places a field in your text that is now linked to the table. Update
the fields in your document manually by selecting the entire document
(CNTRL+A) and then hitting F9. Never assume these crosss-reference fields
update themselves!

--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design