Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjlatta cjlatta is offline

Default suspect embedded graphs causing problem opening word file

We have a document that is updated each fiscal year to reflect the previous
year's spending and income. The graph is embedded in the document - my user
says she only clicks on the chart and she gets an excel window and then
updates the numbers. She is able to open and use the file (word doc). She
then forwards it to other users, using Outlook. She is using Office 2000.
Some of us are using Office 2003 and others are on Office 2000. When
recipients try to open the attachment (word doc), the file will not open and
the pop-up says that the file is corrupt. I have tried to open the file
directly from the server and get the same error message that the file is
corrupt. I suspect that the graphs may be causing the error - that the
original spreadsheet is located somewhere on the server and most users (other
than the original user) can't access the spreadsheet. Whatever the cause, do
you have suggestions on how others can open/access this file? Could it be
version differences (2000 vs. 2003)? If that's the case, how do you open the
file in 2003?