Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TychaBrahe TychaBrahe is offline

Default why do I have to toggle field codes every time I open a document?

I am working on documents created in earlier versions of Word. (Office XP
would be my guess.) I'm in compatibility mode, because not everyone has
migrated.

In the footer of these documents are codes: date, page number, page length.
Every time I open the document, these codes are toggled, so I see { PAGE }
instead of 1. A lot of these documents have formatting issues in the footer,
so every time I have to toggle the codes and play with the formatting.
Because they don't stay toggled, I can't tell what I've fixed and what I
haven't.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Copy the line
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

to an autoopen macro in normal.dot and your documents will always open to
show the result.