Gracenote123

Default How can I fill space between things tabbed with dots?

I want something that will let me automatically fill the space between tabbed
things with dots, like this:

* Starchy vegetables.......1/2 cup
* breads and muffins........1 oz.
* cooked legumes............1/3 cup

See, there would be a tab stop in front of 1/2 cup, 1oz., etc. And then the
space between "vegetables" & "1/2" would be filled with the dots (points of
ellipsis). Word does this with Tables of Contents already. I was wondering if
there was a way to do this in the body of a work, such as when you have a
list like the one above.

I hope I'm making sense about what I'm looking for & that someone can help me.

Thanks,
Grace
Doug Robbins

From the Format menu, select Tabs and in the format tabs dialog, you will
see a number of radio buttons that allow you to select various types of
leaders for the tab stops that you set. That's what the row of dots are
called.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gracenote123" wrote in message
[...]

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How can I fill space between things tabbed with dots?

Hi Grace,

Yes, you can definitely achieve this in Microsoft Word using the Tabs feature and the Leader option. Here's how:
  1. Select the text you want to format with the dots.
  2. Go to the Home tab and click on the Paragraph group dialog box launcher (the small arrow at the bottom right corner of the group).
  3. In the Paragraph dialog box, click on the Tabs button at the bottom left corner.
  4. In the Tabs dialog box, set the Tab stop position where you want the dots to start. For example, if you want the dots to start 3 inches from the left margin, set the Tab stop position to 3".
  5. Choose the type of Tab stop you want to use. In this case, you can use a Right Tab stop.
  6. Click on the Set button to apply the Tab stop.
  7. Now, type in the text for the first item in your list, followed by a Tab character.
  8. Type in the measurement for the first item, followed by another Tab character.
  9. Type in the dots you want to use as a leader. You can use periods, hyphens, or any other character you prefer. Make sure to add enough dots to fill the space between the text and the measurement.
  10. Press Enter to move to the next line and repeat the process for the next item in your list.

That's it! You should now have a list with dots filling the space between the text and the measurement. If you need to adjust the spacing or the Tab stops, you can go back to the Tabs dialog box and make the necessary changes.