Strange quote marks

Old December 23rd 05, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Strange quote marks

In typing dialogue in a story, all of a sudden, the quote marks changed from
regular ones, "like this," to: „That’s a remote possibility.“

Note that the "open quote mark" is down and the "close quote mark" goes the
other way than it should. I'm in Courier, if that means anything.

I cannot find out where the problem comes from. In looking at the Character
Map, I have found these marks. The first one is U+201E: Double Low-9
Quotation Mark.

I finally deleted the whole section and retyped it and had no problem. How
do I stop this from happening again? I certainly didn't hit the Unicode key
combination by mistake.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Ann

Old December 23rd 05, 04:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Beats me, but look at Tools | Language | Set Language to see what language
is assigned to the text in question, then check Control Panel | Regional
Options to see what language keyboard is selected.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The most likely possibility is that you have enabled a different

language
keyboard.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Old December 23rd 05, 09:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Setting the language correctly in Word is rather tricky, nowadays. You
may want to take a look at the following article:

Get control of language formatting in Word
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old December 23rd 05, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the help. Since I haven't fooled with any keyboard settings, or
used any other language than English, and can't find any formatting problems,
I guess it will just be a mystery.

Ann

Old December 23rd 05, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, from any other source. The article that Stefan mentioned talked about
some spontaneous changes.

Anyway, deleting the problem area and retyping seemed to fix it.

Thanks again.