Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
phoebe

Default What does it mean "margins outside the printable area of page"?

I need to print on paper that is 5 1/2 wide by 8 1/2 long on a hp photosmart
1115 series printer. The margins are set at 2.75 (top), 0.75 (bottom), and
0.5 (left and right). I keep getting an error message saying the margins are
outside the printable area of the page. How do I fix this? Can I print on
this size paper with this printer?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

Many printer drivers are poor with custom paper sizes. For this exercise set
the page size as US Letter (8.5" x 11") and the orientation as landscape.
Add 5.5" to the left margin and your page is the narrow bit remaining for
you to type in. Feed the paper into the printer from its wider edge.

phoebe wrote:
I need to print on paper that is 5 1/2 wide by 8 1/2 long on a hp
photosmart 1115 series printer. The margins are set at 2.75 (top),
0.75 (bottom), and
0.5 (left and right). I keep getting an error message saying the
margins are outside the printable area of the page. How do I fix
this? Can I print on this size paper with this printer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
lance96816 lance96816 is offline

I'm using an HP4315. And I get the same Outside Print Area message.
I am using the default setting that is with the setup.
Everything prints okay, But that message shows up everytime I try to print
something.

phoebe wrote:
I need to print on paper that is 5 1/2 wide by 8 1/2 long on a hp
photosmart 1115 series printer. The margins are set at 2.75 (top),
0.75 (bottom), and
0.5 (left and right). I keep getting an error message saying the
margins are outside the printable area of the page. How do I fix
this? Can I print on this size paper with this printer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do the default page settings in the printer driver match those in the
document?
Do you have a zoom setting in the print dialog?
What happens if you open and close Page Setup? Does it warn about margins?

phoebe wrote:
I need to print on paper that is 5 1/2 wide by 8 1/2 long on a hp
photosmart 1115 series printer. The margins are set at 2.75 (top),
0.75 (bottom), and
0.5 (left and right). I keep getting an error message saying the
margins are outside the printable area of the page. How do I fix
this? Can I print on this size paper with this printer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kathy Kathy is offline

I too am having the same issue with my document in Word. Yes, when I exit the
Page Setup dialog, I get the message about margins being outside the
printable area. It is driving me crazy. I am printing an 8.5x11 document in
portrait. When I then go to print the document on my HP Deskjet D4200, I also
get the message that margins of Section 1 are outside the printable area of
the page. How do I check to see if the printer driver default page settings
match the document?