Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjm563 cjm563 is offline

Default Received .doc file. Opens in unreadable font. How to read.

Received a file attachment in Outlook with a .doc extension and the Word logo
before the document name. When I try to open the file it opens Microsoft
Word, then shows a small window with the documents contents seen in a font
that is mostly symbols and a message on top that says "Select the encoding
that makes your document readable". But none of the offered choices of
encoding make the document readable.

How can I read this document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While Suzanne is correct - don't try opening Word documents directly from
e-mail messages. Save to the hard drive first. Word documents sometimes
corrupt in transit. Check with the sender that it is indeed a Word document,
and if it is ask the sender to zip the file and resend it.

cjm563 wrote:
Received a file attachment in Outlook with a .doc extension and the
Word logo before the document name. When I try to open the file it
opens Microsoft Word, then shows a small window with the documents
contents seen in a font that is mostly symbols and a message on top
that says "Select the encoding that makes your document readable".
But none of the offered choices of encoding make the document
readable.

How can I read this document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjm563 cjm563 is offline

I did save on the hard drive first. Also I know this is a Word file which was
created in Word 2000.What is the purpose of a zip file? The document is not
large.

cjm563 wrote:
Received a file attachment in Outlook with a .doc extension and the
Word logo before the document name. When I try to open the file it
opens Microsoft Word, then shows a small window with the documents
contents seen in a font that is mostly symbols and a message on top
that says "Select the encoding that makes your document readable".
But none of the offered choices of encoding make the document
readable.

How can I read this document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The ZIP file is to compress the file and minimize the possibility of
corruption in transit.

cjm563 wrote:
Received a file attachment in Outlook with a .doc extension and the
Word logo before the document name. When I try to open the file it
opens Microsoft Word, then shows a small window with the documents
contents seen in a font that is mostly symbols and a message on top
that says "Select the encoding that makes your document readable".
But none of the offered choices of encoding make the document
readable.

How can I read this document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cjm563 cjm563 is offline

I now find that the document was created some years ago and saved on the hard
drive. The person who created it can himself not open it. He mailed it to me
hoping it would open for me. Any ideas as to what to do?

Mailmerge template stephen Mailmerge 8 August 18th 06 02:19 PM
get rid of the "Read Only" on stubborn document Jack B Microsoft Word Help 21 August 10th 06 12:35 AM
Font box on format bar --is it supposed to be wysiwyg?? montauklite Microsoft Word Help 7 May 18th 06 04:10 AM
.doc file and zip file - now my file is corrupted I think RP2chil Microsoft Word Help 2 February 24th 06 09:46 PM
Word crashes while opening .doc file Rachelle Read Microsoft Word Help 1 July 18th 05 02:53 PM