Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim

Default Compatiblity options

Can someone please tell me what compatibility my computer should be set too?
In tools, options, compatibility, Recommended Options For: should it be set
too? I'm currently using Office 2003. Also, how do you find out what some
of the choices mean? I really wish they didn't get rid of the option of
right clicking on something and choosing what's this? I really need that
back.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

New documents you create should by default have the Compatibility set to
"Microsoft Office Word 2003" unless you have changed any of the settings, in
which case they will be "Custom." Existing documents will probably have
compatibility set to the version in which they were created; you can either
leave this alone or update it (which may result in some changes in
formatting).

For an explanation of the options, see "Description of the Compatibility
options that are available in the Options dialog box in Word 2003, Word
2002, and Word 2000" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288792
Note that many of the options apply only to East Asian text.

"Kim" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me what compatibility my computer should be set

too?
In tools, options, compatibility, Recommended Options For: should it be

set
too? I'm currently using Office 2003. Also, how do you find out what

some
of the choices mean? I really wish they didn't get rid of the option of
right clicking on something and choosing what's this? I really need that
back.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howard L., Houston, Tx Howard L., Houston, Tx is offline

Default Compatiblity Options: Saving Files From MS Word 2003 to 2002

Hi;
I currently have important documents saved in Word 2003 within a TRIAL
version of MS Office 2006 on my new XP Home ed .Compaq pc
The orginal files were typed & saved in WORDPAD on my old WIN 98 pc.
When I emailed them to myself & tried to save them in wordpad on my new
pc, they got "forced" into WORD documents, along with the original fortmatting
and conversion into pages..looks pretty good.
I don't need that whole Office Suite, so I purchased Word 2002.
I was told that I will have to UNINSTALL this Trial Version before installing
Word 2002.
My question/concern is whether the documents I already saved in Word 2003
will automatically be saved WITH all my formatting , fully accessible, &
"editable"
after installing Word 2002?
The retailer warned me that I MIGHT lose my formatting, but more than likely,
there should not be any problem as the WORD Versions are fairly close.

Will I have to RE-SAVE each document to Word 2002 on my new pc, OR
re-send them all again from my OLD pc as Wordpad files, and let them once
again to be "Force-Saved" into Word 2002, like they were with Word 2003?

Is there anything I should do with these files BEFORE uninstalling Word 2003
/MS office TRIAL version to insure a smooth transition/prevent any loss of
formatting, etc, or is Word 2003 compatible enough with Word 2002 that I
shoudn't have any problems?
I plan on doing all this BEFORE my trial version expires! (I just received
the Word
2002 CD) and would appreciate any feedback or tips before proceeding from
anyone who moght have already tried this, or is more knowledgeable than
myself on this compatibility issue.

(Also, is it recommended I uninstall the WHOLE Office 2006 Trial Version or
just
the Word 2003 WITHIN it when I do this?)

Thanks!
Howard L, Houston