Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Andy is offline

Default Query with dictionary-style headers

I am using Word 2003 to compile a dictionary of films and am trying to put
the film titles in the header on each page.

For instance, on a page listing Godfather 1, 2 and 3, I am trying to get the
header to read Godfather 1 - Godfather 3. I have set all the titles as
Heading 2, and have used two StyleRef calls, one for the top of the page and
one for the bottom: everything seems to work smoothly.

The problem that I am having is that on a page which only has one film,
Godzilla, the header then reads Godzilla - Godzilla. Is there some way of
checking the last heading against the first on the page, and if they are the
same, supressing the second StyleRef entry? Or do I have to go through all
the pages that have only one heading, and manually remove the second StyleRef
entry?

Would appreciate any help; and sorry if I'm not being particularly clear.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think there's any easy way to do this, and if you're using
"dictionary-style" headings, I wouldn't advise it, as consistency (even when
it is redundant) is preferable to unpredictability.

"Andy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

My dictionary is formatted as one big table with three columns - the Greek
words at left in Greek alphabetical order, the biblical Hebrew phrase
including the material which the Greek word helps translate at the right, and
in the middle is the Greek phrase that translates the Hebrew if the
translation is not exact. How can I get the dictionary headers at the top?
(First Greek word and last Greek word on the page).
Fincke

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't think there's any easy way to do this, and if you're using
"dictionary-style" headings, I wouldn't advise it, as consistency (even when
it is redundant) is preferable to unpredictability.

"Andy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you read the Help topic about dictionary-style headings using the
StyleRef field? You would need to use different styles for the Greek and
Hebrew words and use the StyleRef field to reference them.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't think there's any easy way to do this, and if you're using
"dictionary-style" headings, I wouldn't advise it, as consistency (even

when
it is redundant) is preferable to unpredictability.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Andy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Yep. And it doesn't matter if the entries are all part of a table?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't think there's any easy way to do this, and if you're using
"dictionary-style" headings, I wouldn't advise it, as consistency (even

when
it is redundant) is preferable to unpredictability.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Andy" wrote in message
news I am using Word 2003 to compile a dictionary of films and am trying to

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Suzanne,
It seems that I have to reformat the whole document - remove the table and
use paragraph formatting. Could you run that through with me for four
columns of listings? 1) I type the Greek word then TAB, then the Hebrew
sentence, then TAB, then the verse number, then TAB, then the Herbrew word
that corresponds to the Greek word in column one. The Greek words in column
one (but there are no more columns, since the table is gone) must have some
kind of style name (special font, font-size), that the header reads off to
make the header. Sounds like a mess.